New Lounger
    Thanks

Getting Rid Of McAfee On Windows 8 and Starting Windows Defender

Please tell me I'm missing the obvious. I'm setting up a new laptop for my sister, and apparently I am unable to replace McAfee with Windows Defender. I get as far as Security in the Action Center and select "View Installed Antispyware apps". This then shows McAfee as "Snoozed" (having disabled it for startup) and Windows Defender as Off. I click on that and "Turn On..." is grayed out.

If it means anything the machine was bought at Best Buy. I have been using CCleaner to clean out the trialware, of which McAfee is one such item.

What am I missing?

(I'm quite happy with Microsoft Security Essentials on my Windows 7 machines, and I understand Defender is the same thing for Windows 8.)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Uninstall McAfee using the Control Panel. Windows Defender should then be automatically reinstated.

Joe

Thanks
    Use the MCPR tool after the normal uninstall of McAfee, it has a habit of leaving things behind which may cause issues later: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...33&id=TS101331

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Uninstall McAfee using the Control Panel. Windows Defender should then be automatically reinstated.

Joe
    Thank you sir! I hadn't deleted McAfee because I thought I might be without any protection while I figured things out, but you were right, deleting McAfee did the trick.