Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Win 8.1, Chrome and Roboform

I've hit a vexing incompatibility. After installing Windows 8.1, then Chrome and Roboform, I find the last two won't work and play well together as they did in Windows 8. The Roboform plugin won't run (it's greyed out).

Going to the Chrome Tools, then Extensions and trying to load Roboform (version 7.9.2.5) gives the message:

EXTENSION ERROR
    Could not load extension from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Siber Systems\AI Roboform\Chrome'. NPAPI plugins are not supported.

I've asked Roboform support for help, but the tech had to kick it upstairs, so I'm waiting.

And here's something else, Roboform will run OK in Chrome if you go to Tools - Relaunch Chrome on the desktop.
    Cool? No. Chrome now displays a fuzzy resolution on all pages, not the nice sharp text & graphics you just had.

Select Tools - Relaunch Chrome in Windows 8 mode, and VOILA - the nice display returns but without Roboform.

Any help would be VERY WELCOME!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You can't run those type of plugins in Metro/Modern/whatever-you-want-to-call-it mode for any program.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe:
    Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I think you are correct. Here is what RoboForm Support told me on 10/8/13:

RoboForm can only work in Chrome running in the desktop mode.
    Win8 mode will ban RoboForm and all other NPAPI-based extensions in the browser.
    We are aware of that next year Chrome team is going to drop NPAPI-based extensions in Chrome at all.
    We'd like to keep RoboForm available for Chrome users so research is in progress to make it possible.
    It will take some time. Please bear with us.
    Thanks for using RoboForm and sorry for your inconvenience.

Uh huh. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, too. Mostly, I'm very annoyed with Chrome, however. They used to be my favorite browser, but that's history.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Not an inconvenience. This is a large issue for all the software vendors who make extensions/plugins/add-ons for browsers. I'm a RoboForm user too. It will be interesting to see how they can solve this.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    MS always does something strange in its Windows, which generates bugs in Google's products. If you know scroogled campaign, then you will be familiar with the disputes between these 2.

Thanks
    I guess you just have to use the Desktop version for now until Google updates their products to work with Win 8.1.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Chrome is my default browser and it looks crispy clear on my monitor. I had to reinstall LastPass to get it working, but I only use Chrome in desktop mode. I absolutely hate Metro mode.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    For me the same can be said for IE. I always use the Desktop edition. I just do not like the Metro edition of it either.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I got around this by using Desktop Chrome......I need my RoboForm more than the Metro version of Chrome......lol.