Thread: Speedfan

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Speedfan

Anyone have any information? I have just started running a new desktop with 64 bit W7 and can no longer adjust fan speed like I used too with speedfan and would like to get rid of some what I consider noise. Thank you.
    Phil.

Thanks
    Hi Phil,

Start in the BIOS/UEFI and modify the cooling/PWM profiles for the CPU/case fans.

You may not require 100% CPU all the time, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings, advanced settings is your friend here.

3rd party software: this depends on the motherboard maker to some extent, I use ASRock's eXtreme Tuner utility.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-10-08)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much for your reply and the info I dont really know much but I will try to use the tips you have supplied and see what I can do thanks again.
    Phil.

Thanks
    If you need specifics with anything, let us know your PC/hardware/motherboard details and we'll try to figure it out with you.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    satrow okay I am over my head I tried the contrlol panel on the computer and that didnt work and I dont see anything on speedfan so I am not understanding something which is not suprising to me I cant even find that backward to forward slash that you used would you care to give me some more information? My motherboard is GIGABYTE H61M-DS2 R3 if that means anything to you. thanks.
    Phil.

Thanks
    Checkout the BIOS/UEFI options to begin with - keep tapping the Delete key as the computer boots up, click on the MIT icon then on PC Health status. When you are done making changes, use F10 to bring up the Save/Exit menu so that you can enter Windows to test.

Try out the Silent option first, if that isn't quiet enough for normal usage, then going full manual and tweaking the PWM Slope setting might do better (I don't see a graphic of this setting in the manual, if there's a graph, it needs to look like a hockey stick, flat then curved tightly upwards between 45-50 degrees C and 60C - give me your CPU model # and I can double check the maximum heat specifics for it).

There is a software (EasyTune6) utility available that should give fine control over the fan speeds but it's been known to cause BSODs for some users.

Fan speed settings in the UEFI:
    CPU Fan Speed Control
    Allows you to determine whether to enable the CPU fan speed control function and adjust the fan speed.
    ?Normal Allows the CPU fan to run at different speeds according to the CPU temperature. You
    can adjust the fan speed with EasyTune based on your system requirements. (Default)
    ?Silent Allows the CPU fan to run at slow speeds.
    ?Manual Allows you to control the CPU fan speed under the Slope PWM item.
    ?Disabled Allows the CPU fan to run at full speeds.

Slope PWM
    Allows you to control the CPU fan speed. This item is configurable only when CPU Fan Speed Control is
    set to Manual. Options are: 0.75 PWM value / o C ~ 2.50 PWM value / o C.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-10-09)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    satrow got pulled away for a couple of days will see if I can digest this stuff while I am gone and see what I can do when I get back thank you very much for your help and info.Phil.

Thanks
    No worries, Phil, enjoy your break

11. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-10-09)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks talk soon.
    Phil.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have the latest version of Speedfan? I believe they released one in March of 2013. We've been using Speedfan with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit for over a year with no problems. My girlfriend's PC is in a nice quiet Antec case, but the airflow / ventilation is basically just the rear exhaust fan. As a result, her Intel Core2Duo E6750 cpu was running when idle at around 35 C. and 38 C. for the two cores. Using Speedfan, i boosted the minimum fan speeds from 30% up to 50% and the idle temps. dropped to around 25 C. and 28 C. In your case, it sounds like you want to lower the fan speeds to quiet things down and Speedfan should handle that as well. Just beware of letting the cpu run too hot as that will shorten its life.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to starvinmarvin For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-10-11)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much for your post and information I think it has been solved thanks again.
    Phil.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    satrow thank you very much for all the trouble you went through. Unfortunately I am not informed enough to be able to use the instructions you have offered because of my lack of knowledge but I do apprecite very much you attempt at assisting me. I guess I will just have to live with it no big deal thank you again.
    Phil.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    starvinmarvin yes I do have the latest 4.49 and I have been informed by Microsoft that it is not compatable with my W 7 Home Premium 64bit so I guess that takes care of that also the new version dosent control the fans the way the one I was using before. Thanks for your info and offer to help.