New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with Win7 permissions

This problem is driving me crazy, so I hope you guys can help me solve it

I have never had any problem with permissions in Windows 7 in this computer, since it's a personal computer with just a single user account, member of the "administrators" group. I have most of the files and folders on my hard drives with ownership assigned to that group and full-control permission assigned to administrators group and my own user account. Now I have a file with said ownership and permissions in an external hard drive that I want to move to another hard drive, having the destination folder the same ownership and permissions. But when I try either to copy it or to move it I get a message telling me I need "administrators" permission to copy that file. f I change the ownership of said file and destination folder to my user account (Sanael) it tells me I need "Sanael" permission to move it, even if that's the account I'm using. I've opened command promt as administrator and tried to copy or move it through commands, but I still get permission issues. To make it even weirder, I can move the file to other folders with the exact same permissions, and I can move other files to that folder too, but I can't move that specific file to that specific folder.

A couple of things:

-No "run your AV" comments, please. I've already done so with more than one AV. It's not a virus or malware problem.

-The file and folder are not system files, they're not even in the same partition as the OS.

-Yes, I know I could just boot the PC under Linux and move the file despite the permission issues from Windows, but I don't want to. This damned permissions problem is driving me nuts and I want to solve it under Windows, if only for self-pride.

Oh, and excuse me for any mistake I could have made, english isn't my native language.

Thanks
    Have you tried to Right Click the file in question and apply Take Ownership?

If you do not have Take Ownership in your right click context menu, here is how to add it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have not the Take ownership option in context menu so no, but ownership is assigned to my account through security settings in properties. I'll try that out, but I doubt it'll make any difference. Thanks for the advice though

Edit: Didn't work, still needing permissions after taking ownership of folder an file through context menu.
    Last edited by Sanael; 2013-10-08 at 05:00.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Does a file with the same name exist in the destination folder?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, it's a nonexistent file in the destination folder so it can't be that the file to be replaced is messing up with the process.

Thanks
    Copy the file in place. That is, right-click the file and select "Copy", then move the curser to an open area in that same folder, right-click again and select "Paste". Delete the original file, rename the copy so that the name matches the original. Then move the file.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Nothing at all. I had already tried to copy it to a intermediate destination, then to the desired folder, but no matter where the file is I can't copy it to said folder, the same way that I can copy any other file from any other folder to the desired folder except from that file. It just makes no sense.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Is the file in question being used by some app? You could try EMCO's UnlockIT to check: http://emcosoftware.com/unlock-it/download
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, it is not. Plus, I guess if that was the case it'd give the usual "file is being used by another process" message and not a permission error message. In any case, file's not in use.

Thank you all for your tips, but I give up, I'll move the damned file under Linux. I've tried everything I could come up with and nothing worked, can't figure out what's wrong with that file and folder to produce such an illogical situation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanael View Post
    Nothing at all. I had already tried to copy it to a intermediate destination, then to the desired folder, but no matter where the file is I can't copy it to said folder, the same way that I can copy any other file from any other folder to the desired folder except from that file. It just makes no sense.
    By "Nothing at all" do you mean that nothing at all happens when you right-click the file, nothing at all happens when you try to paste the file in the same folder where it already exists, or do you get some error message at some point?
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Basically I meant that I could make a copy of it in the same folder (same way that I can copy it to any other location) but I can't move not the original file nor its copies (renamed or not) to the desired folder. Everywhere else? Yes (even to the same HDD where the desired destination folder is), but not to said folder (even if it shares the same owner and permissions as other folder of the HDD where I can move the file to.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Had the exact problem. Located a registry fix and everything OK. Link:
    http://www.sysnative.com/forums/wind...ows-vista.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have already tried a "take ownership" registry tweak, following Medico's advice. It's not an ownership problem since the file was already owned by my user account since the very begining. It even doesn't seem to have nothing to do with permissions, even if the error message when copying says so. Anyway, I already moved it under linux so I'll just give up and stop wondering why Windows produces such nonsense errors.