Thanks

WARNING: Upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8.0

A number of Loungers use VMWare Workstation. Be advised that version 9 is NOT COMATIBLE with Windows 8.1 I found that VMWare re-installed itself after I upgraded (from Win 8.0) to Win 8.1 Pro (64-bit) (via TechNet Download). It then ran juts fine. However, the third time I tried to open it, I received a Windows compatibility issue warning. I was unable to correct the issue and have since learned from the VMWare web site that only their new (Version 10) is compatible with Win 8.1 (and it's a PAID upgrade!).

In addition to this problem, I have found that MS Outlook 2013, MS Visio 2013 and MS Project 2013 all had to re-pair or re-install themselves after the upgrade to Win 8.1. Further more, MY HP laser printer driver had to be re-installed and so, too my Garmin GPS driver. The software to let my GPS "speak" to the Garmin website will not run in IE11.

Fortunately there are "free" VM routes one can follow instead of using VMWare, but its the rendering of software incompatible by a Windows upgrade that led me to post this thread.

All of this concerns me, since MS is (apparently) planning to use incremental upgrades instead of issuing "new versions" of Windows in future. Many users (the majority?) set Windows Update to download and install updates automatically when issued. If upgrades will render some software "useless" this is going to be "inconvenient" in the extreme for many users. Or am I wrong about this all?
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip. This may well cause trouble in the future.

However, if you are in a 'non-commercial' environment you can use VMWare Player v6 instead of VMWare Workstation v10. It is not quite so convenient as Workstation (as you cannot switch so easily from one VM to another) but it is free and has most of the facilities of Workstation v10. I have not tried to run Win 8.1 yet but it should work.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Incompatibility with an application that interacts with Windows at a low level as VMWare, anti-malware programs, & device drivers is a normal occurrence for a new release of Windows. Service packs for Windows have been released via Windows Update for many years. Windows 8.1 is more than a service pack as it contains new features in addition to fixes. It has always been a good practice and the user's responsibility to ensure that their hardware and software is compatible with the update/upgrade before attempting to install the update/upgrade.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    A number of Loungers use VMWare Workstation. Be advised that version 9 is NOT COMATIBLE with Windows 8.1 I found that VMWare re-installed itself after I upgraded (from Win 8.0) to Win 8.1 Pro (64-bit) (via TechNet Download). It then ran juts fine. However, the third time I tried to open it, I received a Windows compatibility issue warning. I was unable to correct the issue and have since learned from the VMWare web site that only their new (Version 10) is compatible with Win 8.1 (and it's a PAID upgrade!).
    For what it's worth I upgraded as you did and got the same compatibility warning and re-installed version 9. After re-installing I still got the compatibility warning but I ignored it and still was able to power up a virtual machine running Win7.

Rich

Thanks
    @rmonroe36: Many thanks. I had the same result, and then after successfully opening VMWare V9 three or four times, it defaulted to "incompatible" and unable to open again. It, today, fully un-installed VMWare using Revo Uninstaller Pro and have re-installed. I have now been able to open and run the program without any errors/messages/warning 5 consecutive times. I honestly do not know what to make of this. VMWare informed me that Version 9 of the program is NOT compatible with Win 8.....?? Any way, if I stay up and running after the full re-install, I will not complain!
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    I hope everyone doing this update is making a system image prior to starting the update. Some may find these incompatibilities cause major problems and that the easiest way to return to what they gad is through restoring a recent system image.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    @Medico: Spot on Ted: I did just that before the upgrade and very nearly decided to go back to my Win 8 image because of some strange "incompatibilities" I experienced (as posted elsewhere here). I have not yet had to do so, but it's nice to know I have the "life-saver" in my back pocket, just in case!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I hope everyone doing this update is making a system image prior to starting the update.
    As a member of this forum for some time, I know how important it is to have it backed-up "sideways". Please know that I only perform such actions on my other "experimental computer".

Rich

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I hope everyone doing this update is making a system image prior to starting the update. Some may find these incompatibilities cause major problems and that the easiest way to return to what they gad is through restoring a recent system image.
    I want to take this advice and have been 'googling" to see how to do it.

I see it can be done through the Windows control panel or by using a third-party program.

Any advice on the simplest method would be appreciated. I don't need a system of regular back-ups, as I am only a relatively casual user.

Thanks
    Even casual users can have problems with their PC. Let's say your one system Image is 6 months old, or even longer. Just think how out of date the Image is. A monthly Image only takes about 15 to 20 minutes to create and can save hours of updating.

I use Acronis True Image 2013 and it has been very successful for me. Others use Macrium Reflect very successfully. Others use still other Imaging apps. Some even use the built in Imaging app.

I find the 3rd party apps are easier than the built in app. There are step by step instructions for both Acronis and Macrium Reflect (older versions, but the methods are relatively unchanged) in the Lounge
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Trev (2013-10-16)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I used the built in Windows system and created a back up very easily. I earlier tried Macrium free, but found it confusing so aborted.

I'll look at Acronis for the future. Thanks for your advice on this matter.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use VMware workstation 9.0.2 and have had no problems running Win 8.0 Preview or Win 8.1 RTM. I just installed Windows 2012 R2 Server Datacenter version today without problem. I have never had VMWare restart/reinstall caused by running a guest OS. If that were the case I would really wonder about the virtualization scheme in use. I did order the version 10 upgrade at about $89, but have not received it yet. So far I have not had any of the problems you noted. I am running my VM host on a Win 7 64-bit PC with 16GB of RAM and Intel i7 cpu.

I have also tried running Win 8.0 in a VirtualBox setup (not sure what version but fairly recent) without problems. I know VMWare will reinstall itself when you update from an earlier version of VMWare. The guests should not have any impact on the VM host. I have been using that product since about version 5 and have never had the guest software have any adverse interaction with the VM host. Are you sure it was not just an update notice that popped up by chance when you started a guest?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dknapp1117 View Post
    Are you sure it was not just an update notice that popped up by chance when you started a guest?
    Not sure to whom this is addressed but to clarify my experience, I am running VMWare (version 9) in Windows 8.1 and can assure you that the window popping up specifically used the term "Compatibility" issue.

Rich

Thanks
    @rmonroe36: Agreed. But see my comment below

@ dknapp1117: I have noted today (since yesterday's pubic release of Windows 8.1) that, in spite of having upgraded to Win 8.1 some time back (via a my TechNet subscription), I had a 243MB Windows 8.1 update to install over my "new" Windows 8.1 system. Since doing this, I have found that VMWare 9.0.2 now runs without any warnings, just as it should!

In view of the foregoing, I am going to declare this post "solved", since I do not want to mislead readers into thinking "bad things" of VMWare, or of deciding not to upgrade to Windows 8.1 in case of incompatibility issues in this regard.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Microsoft all along has said that there would be a set of updates released when Windows 8.1 hit GA (general availability). There were three fixes released one of which was a large (~230MB) rollup. The original RTM (now "release to manufacturers" as opposed to "release to manufacturing") gave the OEMs time to integrate their drivers and test. Compatibility, performance and other fixes are all a part of this rollup.

Joe