Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium Reflect free says disk in use

I want to clone C: drive to D: drive. Both are installed and a physically identical. No matter what choices I make, Macrium Reflect says D: drive in use and will not proceed further. Any suggestions? (I deleted all files on D: drive by dragging to trash. Did not try complete wipe.)

The initial screen shows both C: and D: drives with boxes to select. Maybe it it obvious which to have checked but it is not clear to me. I tried as 4 choices; none work.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    This is a duplicate of a post in the Windows Vista forum. please do not post the same issue in multiple forums. Which is the correct forum for the post?

Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by heritage View Post
    I want to clone C: drive to D: drive. Both are installed and a physically identical. No matter what choices I make, Macrium Reflect says D: drive in use and will not proceed further. Any suggestions? (I deleted all files on D: drive by dragging to trash. Did not try complete wipe.)
    heritage,

Hello... If by "identical" you mean that they are exact copies... Then there would be two C: drives (clones) If this is the case you would need to format the D: NTFS \ primary \ active... do not assign a letter, then clone your C: as source, and D: as the target. I have used Macrium Reflect to do this many times .... Regards Fred

PS: you could also do the "clone" thing from the Macrium recovery disk ( @ boot time)... so neither disk would be in use.
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-10-08 at 17:09.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to Just Plain Fred. I would never have guessed that. Since Macrium is offering this free, I cannot complain. Seems strange that they would go to all the trouble to make the program and make is so hard to use. I finally used Acronis free version (for Western Digital drives). It cloned C: to D: with two clicks.

I am always amazed at how many people (like Fred) are willing to help us poor souls who are still learning this stuff.

PS to Joe Sorry about the post to Vista. My error.