2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Google annoyances

I'm not sure where to ask this question so I apologize if this is the wrong place.

I use Google constantly with IE 10. For some time, there has been a bar appear at the top of the page that says:
    "Come here often? Make Google your homepage. Sure No thanks"
    I always click "No thanks" but the message reappears the next time I open Google. Is there any way to permanently get rid of this message?

Secondly, the Google home page itself has recently changed and does NOT display the "News" tab at the top of the screen. Instead, there is a grid that I have to click and THEN I click on News. Previously, I could display the news with ONE click; now it takes two. Is there any way to restore a method for getting to Google news in ONE click?

Thanks for any suggestions !!!

(why do software providers make their product more DIFFICULT to use????)

Thanks
    I have gotten around the "Google" annoyances by using https://www.ixquick.com/ instead.

Still Google, but without the hassles!
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RussB For This Useful Post:

Tunes (2013-11-02)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After a quick glance at ixquick, I didn't see either a "news" link OR a "gmail" link, both of which I use and used to appear on Google's homepage. Is there some way to customize ixquick to show these links?

Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I"m still looking for answers to the Google annoyances listed in my first post. Is there a better place to ask this question? Thanks for any suggestions.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Google's constantly updating it's layout, testing for user experience. What it says publically is that the changes are to improve the user experience, but we all know the changes are meant to improve monetization. While these two things do overlap in some cases, and it's easy to argue they do, the bottom line with Google these days is monetizing trumps everything else. What's fascinating about it is that these changes haven't killed the host... yet. Time will tell, meanwhile shares are pushing new highs. Sigh. A simple answer to the OP first question, that question at the top is triggered when there is no cookie giving Google instruction. Maybe cookies are disabled or getting cleared when IE10 is shut down? I am not having the same issue with IE10, unless I clear my cookies.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    THanks, Tunes, you are correct and I hadn't noticed it. I had disabled cookies to avoid viruses but another site wanted cookies so I enabled them again. I hadn't noticed that the annoying "Come here often....." question had disappeared on the Google home page.

The second question still remains: is there any way to return to the black navigation bar across the top of the screen which allowed me display Google News with one click?

Thanks again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, Rfarmer, you are joining at least many thousands (if not millions) of Google users who don't like the change. Google thinks the new design is better, and began rolling it out in September. This change is not going away anytime soon. Sorry for the bad news. Here's a link to Google's announcement on Sept 19. You will see this in Google employees post:
    Images are not displayed
    Display images in this post
    It will have a colored background. Click on the link that says "Display images in this post", and you will see a screen shot of what you hate. If you continue down the page, you will how many people are upset about the change. This is typical of Google. All the testing never ends, and layout will continue to evolve. It's meaningless, but I think the old black bar was pretty handy.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunes View Post
    Unfortunately, Rfarmer, you are joining at least many thousands (if not millions) of Google users who don't like the change. Google thinks the new design is better, and began rolling it out in September. This change is not going away anytime soon. Sorry for the bad news. Here's a link to Google's announcement on Sept 19. You will see this in Google employees post:
    Images are not displayed
    Display images in this post
    It will have a colored background. Click on the link that says "Display images in this post", and you will see a screen shot of what you hate. If you continue down the page, you will how many people are upset about the change. This is typical of Google. All the testing never ends, and layout will continue to evolve. It's meaningless, but I think the old black bar was pretty handy.
    sorry, here's the link: http://productforums.google.com/foru...ch/LBdje5oPc4c

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, Tunes, you gave me my answer !!! THanks so much. I read the Productsforums.google discussion and discovered that the link below returns the black navigation bar, just as before. I just put this link into a desktop shortcut and it seems to work like a charm. So thanks !!!! The link has worked for me several times, so this problem is solved for me, at least for now. The link is:

https://www.google.com/webhp?as_q=&a...pe=&as_rights=

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rfarmer View Post
    I had disabled cookies to avoid viruses but another site wanted cookies so I enabled them again. I hadn't noticed that the annoying "Come here often....." question had disappeared on the Google home page.
    What is it about cookies that have you concerned about viruses?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ruirib:

I had read somewhere that sites could use cookies to plant viruses but I don't remember where I read it or the context of the comment, so maybe it's not actually correct. In any event, I reenabled them to better access another website, and I guess nothing bad has happened so far.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Cookies are just pieces of text that browsers store. They are inoffensive, at least in terms of infecting your computer with anything. The most "dangerous" kind of cookies are what is called 3rd party cookies, that could be used what sites you visited. Even that is an often overblown danger.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

jwitalka (2013-11-03)