Thanks

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I disagree with the first two: Don’t broadcast your SSID, and Enable MAC address filtering.

True, these two steps won't stop someone who knows what they are doing and wants to get in.

However, if you want to block your kids from getting on the internet, these two steps can definitely get the job done.

My son is not savvy enough on these issues to overcome these two steps, particularly MAC address filtering. I very effectively blocked his internet access whenever I felt it was appropriate.

There's only one person within range of my router who is savvy enough to hack my network, and he's not a hacker.

Thanks
    The usage you presented is parental control rather than security enhancement. Its also a royal pain in the ... to add in additional MAC Adresses when a new computer is purchased or you want to give a guest access to your network. With all the tablets and smart phones now in use, its a pretty common event in our household. Its also a pain when you do want to give your son access. One of these days, he's going to overhear you give out the SSID and will find out about MAC Addressing from the internet if he's as smart as his dad.

Some of these actions can deter the average Joe but the point of the article is that the bad guy you really want to keep out will not be deterred by them.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    The usage you presented is parental control rather than security enhancement. Its also a royal pain in the ... to add in additional MAC Adresses when a new computer is purchased or you want to give a guest access to your network. With all the tablets and smart phones now in use, its a pretty common event in our household. Its also a pain when you do want to give your son access. One of these days, he's going to overhear you give out the SSID and will find out about MAC Addressing from the internet if he's as smart as his dad.

Some of these actions can deter the average Joe but the point of the article is that the bad guy you really want to keep out will not be deterred by them.

Jerry
    Actually, when I want to block my son, I turn on the access control list. When I want to give him access, I turn off the access control list.

I always broadcast my SSID, so I probably shouldn't have brought up that point.

I understand that the point of the article is the bad guy who is tech savvy. But I did want to point out that there are situations when it is more secure to take the two steps I mentioned. For example, not only in the case of my son, but also in the case of my neighbors. Only one of them is tech-savvy enough to hack my network, and I know that he doesn't do that sort of thing.

Probably the best way to "hide" your SSID is to simply give it a non-descript name, such as "footballfan". In this way, you haven't hidden the SSID, but you are the only person who knows that it is your SSID.