New Lounger
    Thanks

Weird rules appearance in Outlook 2007

We have just recovered from a white knuckle investigation as to why some very important emails were 'missing', in Outlook 2007.
    It has happened over the last two weeks (since around 18 September) and with just one person's incoming mail.
    We were expecting these emails, and after not receiving them, contacted the sender who confirmed that he had sent them.
    I conducted a 'search all mail items' and the emails appeared, but from where? The search window does not show the folder location of the emails.
    Finally I went to the rules area and to my amazement there was a newly created rule that sent these emails to a folder with my name under personal folders.
    Its a long time since I've created a rule. I usually only do so for very persistent spammers or list managers that I've unsuccessfully tried to unsubscribe from, and have not created a rule for at least six months, and this persons' name has never been the included in a rule.
    How did this happen?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I may be confused. Is this happening on your PC or a different PC?

Who else has access to the machine?

Who else has knowledge of Outlook rules? They aren't that difficult to create.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Joe. It is just one PC and used by me generally although my husband reads emails and does a little Googling. He would not know how to create a rule, or even that it was possible.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Sorry, but I don't have any other ideas. I don't believe that there is any Outlook logging that would tell you "who & when".

Joe

Thanks
    The only possible way that someone could do this, if they weren't sitting at the computer, would be if they did it remotely. It may indicate that someone has hacked their way in.

Check your router activity logs. You may get a clue from looking at them whether or not some unknown person has been in your network.

If all of your PCs are close to your router, I would suggest plugging them in with ethernet cables (if you haven't already done that), and then turning off wireless on your router. If that's how someone is hacking in, you may be able to stop them that way.