New Lounger
    Thanks

2008 r2 - certificate exporting not working as expected

I am having an issue with exporting certificate private keys and am hoping someone can chime in and assist. We are running windows server 08 r2.
    I do not what to be able to export a certificate and include the private key. For the purpose that I want to use the certificate for, the certificate is useless if it can be exported and then imported into the store of another machine.

I copied the User template and made sure the “Allow private key to be exported” radio button is unchecked.

I also verified that the flag changed to the correct value in the registry for this setting.
    Even after doing this, I am able to generate a certificate, go to my personal store and exported it (with the private key and all attributes), move it to another PC, and use it for authentication.
    I have searched all over but everyone seems to report the exact opposite of my issue, NOT being able to export it and the “export private key” option being greyed out.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure what you want to achieve, but you can always export a certificate and key if it's your certificate. If you want to use the certificate to encrypt something to send to the server then no export is required, it's already a public key certificate so you just request the certificate from the server.

cheers, Paul

p.s. don't use your email address as your handle, it's just asking for spam.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thank you for the information Paul. i appreciate you taking the time to assist. with that information, I guess i am confused about the use of the certificate then. i assumed that if I was using a User cert, or even computer cert for "authentication" that I would not be able to export it, and then import it to another PC and it be valid.

I'll have to do more research

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Ask and I'll try to help.

cheers, Paul