Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS did it to me ...

I'm running (on another machine-my main machine) Win XP with all latest updates. This morning MS wanted to install latest security "stuff". I said OK. It went into reboot ... now it won't work at all. Black & white screen giving choices of reboot mode.
    Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command prompt
    Last known safe configuration
    Start Windows normally.

None of them work. Screen scrolls through actions up to .... drivers/mup.sys .... and then it just sits there, or under "normally" ... just cycles around and around after a countdown timer.

Hopefully there is some way of getting around this.

Al

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you don't have an image backup and "last known" won't work, then it's re-install over the top time - after backing up your data of course.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You can try the procedure explained here. I have used it multiple times to recover from similar situations.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe not. ... Disconnected printer and scanner etc (USB) and rebooted ... computer now boots up. So it appears something has messed with one of the drivers (which follows mup.sys in the lineup) for scanner, or color printer, or (now to figure where all these wires go ).....

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind ... first, to figure which driver might be messed up, maybe.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well ... it turns out to be, I guess, the driver for a Sound Blaster external USB sound unit. I had unplugged all USB items ... and plugged in one at a time. All fine except when I plug in Sound Blaster -- then computer crashes immediately. Pull it out, and it reboots fine. Now to see what I can do to get it functioning again.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems that the problem is not the driver for Sound Blaster. I totally uninstalled everything connected to SB, rebooted, and tried plugging the USB Sound Blaster in, and about 3 seconds later the computer crashed. It's not possible to reinstall SB software without the hardware being connected. So .... there is, I guess, something else hidden in there that is scanning USB ports and doesn't like this being connected. I'm sure there must be an answer somewhere ...... (shrug).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Do you have restore points from before the updates? If you do, I would advise restoring your system back to the first pre-updates restore point. You could then add the updates, one by one and find the one causing this. You could simply remove it and hide it and keep your system working with all your hardware.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2862330 looks like the most likely trigger, I'd uninstall KB2862330 and test - if things work well afterwards, don't allow it to install again until you have a known good backup/image to fall back on.

Wait, looks like there were several affecting USB, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2862335, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2868038 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2884256 are 3 others that relate to USB on XP (there may be others too), looks like a long job to work out which one is problematic
    Last edited by satrow; 2013-10-09 at 21:22.

New Lounger
    Thanks

USB file fix fpr XP machines

This fix has been tested and works on XP SP3 computers. Replacement files attached.

Here's how to reverse:
    DEL "c:\windows\driver cache\i386\usbccgp.sys"
    DEL "c:\windows\driver cache\i386\usbd.sys"
    DEL "c:\windows\driver cache\i386\usbehci.sys"
    DEL "c:\windows\driver cache\i386\usbport.sys"
    DEL "c:\windows\system32\dllcache\usbccgp.sys"
    DEL "c:\windows\system32\dllcache\usbd.sys"
    DEL "c:\windows\system32\dllcache\usbehci.sys"
    DEL "c:\windows\system32\dllcache\usbport.sys"
    COPY " usbccgp.sys" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbccgp.sys"
    COPY " usbd.sys" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbd.sys"
    COPY " usbehci.sys" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys"
    COPY " usbport.sys" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbport.sys"
    Attached Files Attached Files

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webarticulate For This Useful Post:

csmart4125 (2013-11-08)

Thanks
    The proposed fix and files above (use at your own risk, first time poster etc.) replaces the files updated by KB2862330 only, so it's the equivalent of uninstalling just that one KB patch.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

csmart4125 (2013-11-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This particular update, KB2862330, was our issue. Had to do with a specific USB bus in our Dell 745's that didn't appreciate the update. Machines wouldn't boot up at all. Had to remove the hard drives, slave them, replace the files, popped them back in and life is good.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My problem shows 2 USB attachments affected. A Sound Blaster external audio "card". And the connection from an APC UPS unit to monitoring software on the computer. Either one plugged in crashes the computer. ... At the moment I have no way of knowing which of the 5 MS updates I received (from Windows Secrets list of possibles) is the problem.
    Last edited by AlStewart; 2013-10-10 at 13:55.

Thanks
    I don't see much that could be relevant from a quick search, apart from the below.

From the known issues section of KB2868038:
    Known issues with this security update

After you install security update 2868038, your audio playback device may be reset to use the system speaker. To configure the audio playback device, follow these steps:
    Click Start, type sound, and then click Sound.
    Click the Playback tab.
    Select the audio device that you want to use, click Set Default, and then click OK.
    Note You might have to restart your computer for the change to take effect.
    Also USB headset problems after KBKB2868038 (W7): http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...4-33398547c2eb

KB2894518 has been updated

There is, of course, a chance that the problem was triggered by an installed security software (or even leftovers from an old one) or by use of a Registry cleaner, etc.

I think I'd uninstall them 2 at a time, shouldn't take too long to work out which KB is the culprit.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for help. Now I just discovered that my headset/mic connection by USB on my Win 7 machine is not functioning. (I only use it for occasional Skype calls - that's why I just discovered it.). This happened after same series of updates. I'll look up what you mentioned above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast