Star Lounger
    Thanks

What happens to Virtual Machines running XP when support expires?

Hi All:

I don't think I've seen this anywhere, and the answer may be obvious, but what exactly is the situation for those running XP on any virtual machines (XP-Mode on Win7, VirtualBox, etc.) in April 2014 when support for XP expires? Presumably it expires for the virtual machines, too, including Micro$$oft's own XP-Mode, which is included in Win7 Pro and above. Is this also when one should plan to shut down their virtual machines running XP for legacy programs that do not exist for Win7 or above? Or should we just turn off their outside connections and keep going?

Just curious. Thanx in advance for your thoughts.

Rob

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Same rules apply as they do to a real installation. Disabling the virtual network adapter would be one way to prevent anything from getting in, wanted or unwanted.
    I have no plans on altering my useage at all but the arbiter should be past user experience. I've never had a problem at all in that area, regardless of WU status or active anti-virus programs installed or not. Someone else's experience, and whether or not lessons were learned from that experience might be vastly different.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

rbsteinbach (2013-10-09)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    It will be up to you to decide what to do. The risks are pretty similar to other computers running XP. They will be considerable reduced without an internet connection, so that may be a way. If you need the internet connection, I would be looking to add something like a HIPS (Online Armor is my favorite), to whitelist anything you want to allow to run on your computer, and thus achieve a good degree of protection against any zero day exploit that shows up after support ends.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

rbsteinbach (2013-10-09)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanx, guys. That's pretty much what I expected, but just hadn't seen it stated anywhere before. I appreciate your quick responses.

Rob

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    No problem, you're welcome .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am still running two win98se boxes just fine
    so what is the problem with keeping xp ?

i have 3 xpprosp3 boxes and they will keep running just fine too

if/when i have internet issues then i will buy a cheap win8(9?? , 10??? , 11????... ) device for that purpose

win98se runs faster than xp because i ripped out all the antivirus stuff that slowed it down
    since it is never on the net there are NO problems
    microsoft cant force in any unwanted update to fork the system