5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE and .NET fixes, plus a Win7 cleanup update

PATCH WATCH

IE and .NET fixes, plus a Win7 cleanup update

By Susan Bradley

Microsoft finally releases a much-needed patch for a zero-day threat to Internet Explorer. If it weren't for problems with .NET Framework and Windows kernel updates, October's Patch Tuesday would be relatively uneventful.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/ie-and-net-fixes-plus-a-win7-cleanup-update/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2013-10-09 at 19:13.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All of the October updates installed just fine, except those pertaining to Office 2010 programs, 6 updates failed to install, over several attempts. Error Code 80070643 which I see has been around for a while, but it isn't a .net issue, nor is it an Office 2003 issue. The automatic fixer at MS doesn't fix the problem. Are there any ideas about how to get those to install?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Win 7, Home Premium, 64 bit. I had my Windows Updates set to download, but for me to select and install. On Wednesday, I received 23 downloads and installed them all thinking they were safe. Big Mistake! All of my USB ports failed, including the one with the dongle for my wireless keyboard and mouse, plus a host of other more minor functions. It took me over sixteen hours of work to correct all the problems, finally finishing on Thursday, the day my Windows Secrets arrived with this article and warning. Thank you for the article because it alerted me to a couple of items that I had missed and was not aware because I hadn't used them. All is now O.K., but I've reset my Win Up to let me view and select before downloading.
    Everything has its limit--iron ore cannot be educated into gold. (Mark Twain.) (Subject to change by Mr. Twain.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    May I make a suggestion to make searching through the master patch list easier? Add the year in the date column. At present only the month and day are visible. Searching by KB number would be nice, but that doesn't seem to work well either. For example, there are many updates available from last Tuesday, 10-8-13 that do not come up with a KB search. So what is left is scanning by eye down through the list. The list is large and only looking at this month and year would be great. Thanks for your work in this area!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by genej313 View Post
    All of the October updates installed just fine, except those pertaining to Office 2010 programs, 6 updates failed to install, over several attempts. Error Code 80070643 which I see has been around for a while, but it isn't a .net issue, nor is it an Office 2003 issue. The automatic fixer at MS doesn't fix the problem. Are there any ideas about how to get those to install?
    I would try a repair install of Office 2010 ...go into programs and features, then on Office 2010 and go through the wizard to do a repair reinstall... if THAT doesn't work holler back.

New Lounger
    Thanks

KB2876415 on Windows 8 (patch dated Oct 8, 2013)

FYI,

I had a problem with this cumulative patch.

situation:
    I installed it using an admin account. The same day I restarted the PC, and use the PC the whole day using a non-admin account. I shutdown for the day.

The next day, I logged in the non-admin account first and got the message:

The Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in.
    Access Denied

I managed to get logged into the admin account; the start-up seem a bit strange then started up with a different look. I cannot recalled the details. I restarted with an admin account and it started up, what seemed normal. After using the PC for the day, I shutdown.

I logged in the next day with a non-admin account. Same Group Policy log in error message.

workaround / recovery:
    Uninstall KB2876415.
    Do a System Restore to a point before the patch.

solution:
    I updated all my drivers (in case that was the cause of the problem.)
    After installing KB2876415, shutdown the PC.
    On the first log in, use an admin account; where it seems to finish off the installation of the patch. Now I seem fine.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not quite 100%.

The logging in problem has re-occurred, this time awaking from sleep mode. Logging in after sleeping with a non-admin account gets you the message:

The Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in.
    Access Denied

Logging into an admin account, the start-up is similar to the,first time log in, where it is preparing files. After re-starting the computer did seem fine but not sure hence removing the patch.

I am going to need a better time to deal with this. I have removed all software back to the patch and performed a system restore to ensure it will function.