2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Two different XP VMs: difficult to update

Tried to get my updates and noticed this issue in my Virtualbox XP VM. Used Process Explorer to suspend wuaueng.dll so that I can actually use my VM. I then tried to open my rarely opened XP Mode (Virtual PC) VM and it was doing the same thing. Not sure what's causing this. Tried running the Fixit tools to no avail. Bottom line; I cannot currently get my updates now. Sad. Almost like XP itself is getting attacked. Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Try this in the XP VM assuming the VM OS drive is C:
    From a command session, type carefully:

net stop wuauserv
    rmdir c:\windows\softwaredistribution /s
    net start wuauserv

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did that (saw it at another thread) and temporarily it would slow down cpu, but then it picks back up again. Not sure what the story is with this issue; guess I'm going to have to get a listing of all the updates and manually download and install them this round. Sad.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK; the solution that worked for me (what a pain). Downloaded the MS ISO for October's security updates and installed all pertinent XP updates, then all was well cpu wise after I rebooted. I then did a Window's update as usually and installed 6 more security updates and one alternative one (mainly .NET updates that aren't on the MS ISO). Got the lSO from betanews. Not sure which one of these updates fixed the cpu overload issue, but one of these did. Also, I've not patched my VirtualPC XP-Mode VM but might at another date; again, I rarely use this one. I pretty much only use VirtualBOX XP VM (and typing this now using the VM; I mentioned a few times already, but I use the VM as a sandbox).

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...e/1144855685/1

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I manually installed the updates in my Virtual mode XP like I did for my Virtualbox XP but now Windows updates are hosed for it. Not sure what the issue is. Tried several tricks and also gave fixit tools a shot, but to no avail. Not really too concerned about virtualmode xp since I only use it for one of my Dad's medical devices since I never got it to work in Virtualbox XP and it won't work in Win7. I still hope Dad will soon get a replacement for the device that is supported in Win7 so I can just hose XP Mode. lolol

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The advice you get on different sites is to install upgrades and to upgrade from IE6 (which was the default for XPSP3) to IE8. And that works, if you do it in het right sequence. The first time I tried to solve it by upgrading it was not succesfull. However I cleaned my older PC with KillDisk to make sure nothing was left on the harddisk en I installed XPSP3 home again. The problem popped up again. I switched of the automatic updates. Then I installed a more recent SP3 which you can download from microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/nl). The problem was not solved after this install. Then I upgraded to IE8. That solved the problem. Switched on automatic updates en monitored with process explorer what happended. WUAUENG.DLL did not cause problems again. Then I installed my other programs like office etc. During the next 2 hours the PC downloaded automatically 129 updates which got installed when I switched off the PC. Problems solved.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What a pain; thinking about hosing my VirtualPC XP since I now have no need for it anymore and it will give me 20Gs back. VirtualBox XP is working fine.

Administrator
    Thanks
    This is an Windows Update problem on XP regardless of whether it is virtualized or not and regardless of the virtualization method used. Some users have the error. Some don't. Microsoft have said they are working on a fix.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My thought is, they know that support ends in April so they will milk through til then and then wash there hands of it Joe. I've already taken steps to harden my XP VM and even finally chose a browser. Not sure how much longer XP will be useable, but I will try to milk my Win7/XP set-up for as long as allowed to.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This may or may not be relevant: I tried to update the XP side of a Mac, and it kept on getting stuck at checking for available updates. I did various things to try to fix this, to no avail. Then I noticed that a different XP system of mine was having the same trouble. None of these is a virtual machine. When the second one had this trouble, I decided maybe it was some kind of MS server issue. In any case, I gave it even more time than 15 minutes next time, and, at very roughly thirty minutes, got satisfaction. So, I would say allow close to an hour for getting the "available updates" list, before giving up, if the situation I bumped into continues.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mentioned elsewhere here, but not this thread. Decide to hose my VirtualPC XP Mode. Have no need for it now. Hardened my VirtualBox XP and decided on SR Iron browser (Chrome without the spying basically). At least 3 to 4 times faster then IE8 and HTML5 support. Very happy with this decision.