New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Service Pack 1 installation

I have been trying repeatedly since SP 1 came out to install it on my Dell Vostro with Windows 7 Home Premium installed. It never came in with windows updates. I have downloaded from the windows site, I have ordered the DVD and all options have failed. I have searched online for solutions, have tried most that seemed reasonable and still the upgrade to SP 1 has failed. Normally I wouldn't worry about it but have been seeing windows updates come out (in the newsletter) that I'm not receiving because I don't have SP 1. If there's anyone that has had this issue and resolved it I would love to hear from you!
    Cheers,

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have seen this "to do" list and have followed all the steps mentioned. One of the issues I had was getting these updates installed (Updates KB2454826, KB2534366, or KB2533552 if offered) as they were never offered and when I manually tried to install them I kept receiving "update failed" message. As so much time has passed perhaps the computer "spirits" will allow me to install these. I will try these again...

Update; have tried to install these updates again, and again, they have failed. Have also tried updating the Windows updating agent and it finds no issues--so I'm still perplexed.
    Last edited by kebsojourner; 2013-10-10 at 15:32.

Thanks
    Have you run sfc /scannow from an elevated Command Prompt?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It says I must be "an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility"... at this point we get in over my head...

Thanks
    Right-click the Command Prompt shortcut, then select "Run as administrator".
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, there are some corrupted files and they all have to do with updates--so I suppose my next step is a reinstall of the OS?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kebsojourner View Post
    Yes, there are some corrupted files and they all have to do with updates--so I suppose my next step is a reinstall of the OS?
    Did you get a message to the effect that corrupted files were found but could not be repaired?

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. And to look in the Windows Log files to see which files are corrupted. By the way, I do appreciate your responsiveness!

Thanks
    Do you have Windows 7 installation media? Fred Langa has instructions for Windows 7 nondestructive reinstall.

And do note the first line in red in my signature...

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately the computer came without the installation DVD. I'll have to check around to see if I can find someone with Windows 7 home premium 32-bit DVD. I will do Fred's non-destructive reinstall as I had saved the info when he came out with it originally and hope this resolves the problem. If not, I'll be back!

I notice you're from Polk Co., Fl--I live in Marion, Co., FL.
    Cheers,

Thanks
    You can find the links for the Windows 7 SP1 iso here:
    http://www.w7forums.com/threads/offi...wnloads.12325/

Download the proper iso and burn your own DVD.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, thanks so much for that link--will save me a lot of time tracking down a DVD of my OS from friends and family.
    Cheers,
    Kathy

Thanks
    You're welcome.

Jerry