Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

XP to Win 7 question

I have XP Pro, 32 bit installed on my home built computer. ASUS P4C800 Deluxe MB w/ 875P, ICH5 chipset. When I originally installed XP, I ran the .inf file and the Application Accelerator exe file. In the MB settings I can choose to have the C drive ( which is PATA ) seen as a SATA drive.
    I am NOT using a RAID configuration.
    I am going to do a custom install of Win 7 Pro, 32 bit and I need to know if I need the .inf file and Application Accelerator exe file when I install the new OS.
    My guess is that I need the .inf file but not sure about the Application Accelerator file.
    Thanks for any replys.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Having installed W7 on many an old system like this, my inclination is that it will install without a problem to a SATA (or PATA) drive on SATA connector with the BIOS set to AHCI. You might need the 150MB/s limit jumper on the SATA drive for normal function.
    Of more concern might be the AGP graphics slot. That might not work or it might require one of a few recognizable cards that are compatible with W7. I think the ATI/AMD HD series 2400 and above to the point they stopped making AGP is compatible. Not certain about NVIDIA.

In any case, make an image of your system as it is current if it all goes pear-shaped. I've only had one really old system fail to install W7 but it didn't even have SATA ports or USB 2.0.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Having installed W7 on many an old system like this, my inclination is that it will install without a problem to a SATA (or PATA) drive on SATA connector with the BIOS set to AHCI. You might need the 150MB/s limit jumper on the SATA drive for normal function.
    Of more concern might be the AGP graphics slot. That might not work or it might require one of a few recognizable cards that are compatible with W7. I think the ATI/AMD HD series 2400 and above to the point they stopped making AGP is compatible. Not certain about NVIDIA.

In any case, make an image of your system as it is current if it all goes pear-shaped. I've only had one really old system fail to install W7 but it didn't even have SATA ports or USB 2.0.
    Actually I was more interested in whether I need to install the inf and app. accelerator after installing win 7. I ran the win 7 upgrade advisor and my ATI X850 AGP card is compatible.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, I was assuming the inf file related to the SATA drivers. You'll have to be more specific (at least for me) about what driver(s) the inf file is related to. Also, the only app acceleration I'm somewhat familiar with is the AMD graphics and multimedia app acceleration, which for an old card I believe is basically just the drivers.

Thanks
    These files ( .inf, iaa.exe ) are intel files that are installed immediately after installing XP on a MB with Pentium 4, 800 series, intel chipsets such as the one I mentioned in my 1st post.
    I found an intel archive with an updated .inf file that says it supports win 7, but the iaa.exe ( Intel Application Accelerator ) file only shows OS's up to XP.
    The iaa file helped with instructions for RAID ( which I don't use ) and allowed faster file transfer of SATA drives ( or PATA drives in SATA mode ) when used with these MB chipsets.
    I was hoping that someone who has used one of these MB's and installed Win 7 would know if the iaa would work with win 7, because to install win 7 you have to delete XP by formatting the drive first which will delete the .inf and iaa files that are on the drive.

Thanks
    I guess that no one on this board knows, so I am on my own with this. Bummer. Thanks for responding F.U.N. downtown.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, I might be the only one who has installed W7 on multiple (a dozen or more) 2003-2006 desktop systems. As far as I can determine that software is legacy, for ATA I/O enhancement. Since you have SATA ports I would use that and bypass; you'll get just a bit more bandwidth overhead (assuming SATA I) than one can get from Ultra ATA and I would think native I/O management is at least on a par, if not better than the IAA package.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I would say you need nothing, if Windows 7 recognizes your hardware and installs the necessary drivers.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Ya, I might be the only one who has installed W7 on multiple (a dozen or more) 2003-2006 desktop systems. As far as I can determine that software is legacy, for ATA I/O enhancement. Since you have SATA ports I would use that and bypass; you'll get just a bit more bandwidth overhead (assuming SATA I) than one can get from Ultra ATA and I would think native I/O management is at least on a par, if not better than the IAA package.
    So if I understand you correctly, your saying to get a SATA1 HDD ( can they be found anymore?) and trash the IDE HDD so that I won't need the .inf and iaa for the MB controller enhancements? OR are you saying to get a SATA adapter for the IDE HDD and plug into the SATA port on the MB? As you can tell, I'm far from being a computer expert, LOL.
    As you pointed out, the .inf and iaa are legacy software for enhancement on the P4C800 MB (which is from 2003).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I would say you need nothing, if Windows 7 recognizes your hardware and installs the necessary drivers.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm just a bit confused about whether I need the MB enhancements for a better experience on win 7.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm just a bit confused about whether I need the MB enhancements for a better experience on win 7.
    Get 7 working, establish a performance baseline. Backup your system (image it as we advise around here), add the enhancements and see how it goes.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Get 7 working, establish a performance baseline. Backup your system (image it as we advise around here), add the enhancements and see how it goes.
    Thanks for the advice.

Thanks
    I've run PATA drive with SATA adapters on a couple of Windows 7 installs and it worked without a hitch. The adapter takes care of the translation, and Windows 7 only sees a SATA drive. This was with Pentium 4 CPU's as well as AMD.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I've run PATA drive with SATA adapters on a couple of Windows 7 installs and it worked without a hitch. The adapter takes care of the translation, and Windows 7 only sees a SATA drive. This was with Pentium 4 CPU's as well as AMD.
    Thanks for that observation. I may have to go that route,BUT in looking through .inf files on google , I found this:
    "Developer: Intel (1,405)
    Updated / Version / Price: 2012-01-19 / 9.2.3.1022 / Free

This download is also valid for the products listed below. Use the links below for additional product downloads:

Intel 3 Series Chipsets
    Intel 4 Series Chipset
    Intel 5 Series Chipset
    Intel 6300ESB I/O Controller Hub
    Intel 848P Chipset
    Intel 865 Chipset Family
    Intel 875P Chipset
    Intel 910 Express Chipset Family
    Intel 915 Express Chipset Family
    Intel 925X Express Chipset Family
    Intel 945 Express Chipset Family
    Intel 946 Express Chipset Family
    Intel 955X Express Chipset
    Intel 965 Express Chipset Family
    Intel 975X Express Chipset
    Intel Centrino Processor Technology
    Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility
    Intel E7210 Chipset
    Intel E7221 Chipset
    Intel E7230 Chipset
    Intel E7320 Chipset
    Intel E7520 Chipset
    Intel E7525 Chipset
    Intel E8500 Chipset
    Intel E8501 Chipset
    Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Mobile Intel 910GML Express Chipset
    Mobile Intel 915 Express Chipset Family
    Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family

What's new
    What's new in version 9.2.3.1022
    No recent changes.
    Additional information
    Supported languages, OS, requirements, website, facebook, twitter
    Supported OS: Windows 7 , Windows 7 (32-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit), Windows Vista , Windows Vista 32, Windows Vista 64, Windows XP , Windows XP 64-Bit Edition

http://filedir.com/drivers/motherboard/intel-inf-update-utility-106362.html"

My chipset is listed so I'm wondering if this might be the way to go instead of buying an adapter, and just forget about the app. accelerator.
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2013-10-12 at 20:19. Reason: Bolding txt to stand out from other txt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    My chipset is listed so I'm wondering if this might be the way to go instead of buying an adapter, and just forget about the app. accelerator.
    That certainly sounds feasible, since Windows 7 is listed as a supported OS.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast