New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Letters missing and caption field code broken

Hi guys, it's been a while.

My officemate has a rather large document that's been opened up on numerous computers, and recently letters have been dropping from the sentences for no apparant reson. For example:

. he water table is generally v deep and occurs at the fine tuff layer. Rechrge mainly comes from rainfall. Groundwater recharge to the unconfined aquifer based on water balance is estimated to range from 0.000227 m/day to 0.00083 m/day. echarge occurs ...
    It doesn't happen consistently throughout the entire document, only in a few paragaphs near the start (or that's what I've noticed thus far). This is the second or third time I've seen her documents drop letters like this.

Additionally, some of the field codes for the captions are all broken up. For example, instead of reading, "Figure 6" it shows, "Figure SEQ Figure \* ARABIC 75 "

Has this happened to anybody else?

And sorry, I can't upload the file as the document is confidential.

Other details about the document:
    1. Docx format
    2. Been opened in 2010 and 2007, but more times in 2010
    3. Has revision tracking on
    4. 200+ pages
    5. Large number of high-res images (caused the document size to bloat)
    6. Multiple sections

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have seen an issue of dropping spaces when using an unpatched version of Word 2007 and editing back and forth with Word 2010. Some details are provided here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...9-9e37bddf82d8

The figure number showing the field code entry could be as simple as changing your options to show the field result rather than the field code. Can you right click on one of them and choose update field? This would only work if the text is actually showing as "Figure {SEQ Figure \* ARABIC}"
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This may be the case, I'll have to check if the 2007 she was using is up to date with the latest SP's. However the URL makes no mention of letters being dropped.

As for:
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    The figure number showing the field code entry could be as simple as changing your options to show the field result rather than the field code. Can you right click on one of them and choose update field? This would only work if the text is actually showing as "Figure {SEQ Figure \* ARABIC}"
    That was the first thing I checked; for some reason the field code syntax inside the {} was "exploded" (so to speak) into regular text and the field code for that specific caption no loner existed. Like the letter-dropping, this too does not occur for the entire document, just some figures here and there.