Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Non Destructive Reinstall Problem

I am trying to carry out the Windows 7 Non Destructive Reinstall procedure on my "secondary" desktop which runs Win 7 Pro 32 bit with SP1.

I used a 32 bit Win 7 Pro with SP1 DVD.

The problem is that the final stage of the process, i.e. transferring files, settings and programs, reached 63% and then the computer rebooted. As I write this it has been about 90 minutes since the reboot and the process is still at 63% with no sign of any further activity.

What do fellow loungers suggest I should do?

Urgent advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Unfortunately the non-destructive reinstall is not 100 % effective. In your case there may be no alternative accept a complete reinstallation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Ted, I rebooted from the power button and to my surprise the computer booted normally, apart from the fact that there was a message on screen to the effect that "This version of Windows could not be installed". I can't remember the rest of the message, except that it suggested I should run the Windows Upgrade Advisor to check for compatibility problems. I don't understand the message because the purpose of the attempted non destructive reinstall was to install the same version of Windows as before, and I found no incompatibility problems with the original installation. Having said that, something good came out of my efforts, i.e. the reason I was attempting the non destructive reinstall was that when I tried to install the October Microsoft updates several failed, and not only that but the "configuring windows updates" process also failed, and I then got stuck in an endless loop of "reverting changes". After I rebooted from the power button all the Microsoft updates that failed previously succeeded, and the computer is now working normally.

Needless to say, I will now make an up to date image of my C drive with Macrium Reflect. (The existing image was not completely up to date).

I do have one final question arising from all this, namely the C drive now has a folder named $UPGRADE.~OS, and a file named $UpgDrv$. Both are dated today, and I assume I can safely delete them before making the new image. Do you agree?
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    My experience with the reinstall is that the phase you described can take quite a few hours. I remember I shut it down the first time. So, my advice is to bite the bullet and let the process finish. It behaves just like that.
    Rui
    -------
    R4