Thread: Old Dos

New Lounger
    Thanks

Old Dos

I have Win 7 Ultimate and would like to run a few of my old DOS games. How do I do this if possible

Thanks
    How old are these DOS games? Were they written for MS-DOS?

In Windows 7 what looks like DOS is Windows CMD; it does lots of the same stuff, but it isn't MS-DOS.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    AFAIK that would only be possible through a MS-DOS simulator. Try DosBox, easy to use.

Thanks
    I've not tried that, in Win-7, although I do run a lot of DOS batch files in Vista, 7, 8, and even 8.1

Now if the game is an .exe file and maybe in 16 bit........you might not run it in Win-7, but, you can certainly run it in Win-8.

When being installed, Win-8 will stop and ask you if you want to enable 16 bit compatibility. On one old game I got in 1990, on a floppy disk, Win-8 installed it under 16 bit compatibility and I currently play that game with NO problems.

Good Luck!

The Doctor

PS: Have you actually tried to install that program yet, or are you just taking it for granted that it won't work?
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    +1 for DosBox. Runs Duke Nukem really well, and Cosmo and......

cheers, Paul