Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problems with Office 2013

I've had Office 2013 installed on one of my laptops for about a month now. I hated it when I first got it and I hate it still. I don't like the fact that the MENUS SHOUT OUT AT YOU in their large capital letters, stuff generally takes up more space presumably because it is designed to be used with a tablet rather than a keyboard and the lack of colour in its design makes it insipid and not easy to distinguish one part of the screen from another. However that is minor compared with some of the other faults I am finding with it:

Just a selection here:

In Access and Excel using the Format Painter does not always work first time. Because it takes up so much space I normally have the ribbon hidden. I select the item I want whose format I want to copy, click on the HOME ribbon, select Format Painter then the icon should change so that when I click on another cell / control the formatting of the source object is copied into the target. This doesn't work. First I have to click again to re-hide the ribbon before the Format Painter becomes active. This never happened in previous versions.

Similarly in Access when creating a control on a form I select the control type from the menu bar and start dragging over the form where I want it to go. This does not always work - sometimes it needs a second click before I can start painting the new control.

In Access the MENUS have a mind of their own. For example if you open a Form in design mode you get the 3 Form Design Tool menus (Design / Arrange / Format). Close the form they are still there. Not only that all menus are locked. The only way I can use the menus is to click on FILE to get the Info sheet up and then hide the Info sheet - then the menus become active again.

Similarly when I run an Access application and close the last form all menus and the Access Object List disappear. I have to click in the top left hand corner of the screen to force the Info page open again and then close it to reveal Menu bar and Access Objects pane.

If I am using the Query builder and then click Run it does not always work - I do not get the Run button in the ribbon going pink - so it is disabled. There is nothing wrong with the Query because I can run it by clicking on the Datasheet View icon at the bottom of the Query window.

Sometimes I lose all Menus, toolbars, control buttons - I have an empty window. The only thing I can do is right click on the top bar of the window and Close.

One final one, as said above usually I have the ribbon hidden to save screen space. In Access if I try to create a new form I select CREATE, the create ribbon appears but none of the options on the ribbon are active. I have to Ctrl-F1 to reveal the ribbon and then try.

I could go on. There are lots of basic operations that have worked without a problem in previous versions that just seem broken in this version of Office. Are these issues unique to me or have other users seen them?

I'm on Win 7 64 bit and use MS Office 2013 Professional Plus 15.0.4535.1004

Thanks
    Last edited by njl100; 2013-09-26 at 10:46. Reason: Additional problem added

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Haven't used much Access or Excel, use Outlook and OneNote a lot more, but I haven't had issues with Office 2013. I actually think I wouldn't go back to 2010.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I only use 2013 when I have to. I don't like the UI and I find the screen redraw erratic a lot of the time.
    Regards,
    Rory
    Microsoft MVP - Excel.

Thanks
    @njl100: I have been using Office 2013 since it was released (with windows 7 and now with windows 8). I have never experienced any of the problems you have listed, and still do not.

Note: With Format Painter, you must DOUBLE CLICK on the Painter icon if you intend selecting a number of dis-contiguous segments of text to be re-formatted (and this has been the case with previous versions of Office). If the Ribbon is hidden, it opens when you click near it; you then DOUBLE CLICK on the Format Painter icon and the Ribbon will then hide itself again; and you can go ahead and select whatever text you wish to "paint". When finished, press the Escape key on your keyboard to re-set (turn off) the format painter.

Have you tried running the Office "Repair" function to see if your other problems disappear?

I hope this will assist you.

As regards the "plain" or "washed out" screen appearance of Office 2013: I fully agree that it is insipid. There have been literally many hundreds of posts in other forums (fora?) criticising this aspect of Office 2013; but Microsoft has merely (in one case) stated that it "takes note of the comments" but has "no plans to address this in the near future".
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by njl100 View Post
    /Snip
    In Access and Excel using the Format Painter does not always work first time. Because it takes up so much space I normally have the ribbon hidden. I select the item I want whose format I want to copy, click on the HOME ribbon, select Format Painter then the icon should change so that when I click on another cell / control the formatting of the source object is copied into the target. This doesn't work. First I have to click again to re-hide the ribbon before the Format Painter becomes active. This never happened in previous versions.
    For the format painter, have you tried Ctrl+Shift+C keyboard shortcut method? Put your cursor inside the text you want to copy the formatting from (that is, click your left mouse button there) and then press Ctrl+Shift+C. Then select/highlight the text you want to paste the formatting to and press Ctrl+Shift+V to paste the formatting. You can paste the same formatting repeatedly to other places too without having to re-copy it.
    hth a bit.
    Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by njl100 View Post
    /Snip... I hated it when I first got it and I hate it still. I don't like the fact that the MENUS SHOUT OUT AT YOU in their large capital letters,
    For the menus capitalizations (I assume you're referring to the Ribbon Tab Labels), you can change this too.
    1. Right Mouse Button (RMB) click on a Ribbon TAB and select Customize the Ribbon...
    2. On the Main Tabs box, RMB click on the name of the tab you want to change, for example "Home" (ironically it's spelled in mixed case here but presented in Uppercase on the tab)
    3. Rename the tab to something else - in whatever case-mix you want. So long as it's not a default tab name. For example I renamed it from "Home" to "Home." (with the period)
    4. Click OK to save and see the change.
    5. Do the same for the other tabs you might want to change. Just remember if you use an exact default name you get the all-capitalization back. If you change it a bit, you get your own capitalization.

hth some more.
    Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dweebken For This Useful Post:

Mike Feury (2013-10-07)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all for the replies/suggestions.

With the format painter I was only doing single controls so the behaviour is different from previous versions, but it only appears so if the ribbon was hidden. However I'll try to start using the keyboard shortcuts. Also thanks for the suggestions on renaming the ribbons and the Repair function- I'll give them a try too.

Re Petesmst's comment on Microsoft's response to customer feedback on the Office 2013 UI, this is just one more in a long line of problems. I really am beginning to feel that with Microsoft we are witnessing the beginning of the biggest car crash in history. The new CEO will have one heck of a job on his/her hands.