2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Help with Dropbox

Hi

Does any body understand Drop box

What I want to do is add some short cuts to files on a web site

The site will be on my own web space but it is not large enough to take all the files as well.

These are mp3 files

What I want is to click on the short cut and for the mp3 file to play, not to down load?

Oldn

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    It seems to me that you have two problems:

1. Where to store the files you want played
    2. How to play files when users click them.

Not sure how much you know about HTML. Probably you should start with that first. You can read a few tutorials on how to play music in HTML. A couple examples are given in the links below:

http://www.quackit.com/html/html_music_code.cfm
    http://www.hscripts.com/tutorials/html/audio.php

The links sort of solve the problem in 1, as you can see that you can specify a link to an external file. I am not sure that it will work with DropBox, to be honest, since I don't know if the files are accessible through a web browser to be streamed. Probably they are not.

Also, I am not sure what files you plan to make available. Be aware that there may be copyright issues involved, and that even if you just make the player available, files will still be downloadable. All that's required to download them is a basic knowledge of HTML.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

oldn (2013-10-13)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ruirib

I have a web site written with Front Page www.oralhistory.co.uk on it are written transcripts.

The recordings of the interviews are mp3, most about half an hour long, they were going up on another site which belongings to another group, but they are now closing down at the end of the year.

There are no copyright issues, I made the recordings, and I own the copyright.

From what I can see the http://www.quackit.com/html/html_music_code.cfm / http://www.hscripts.com/tutorials/html/audio.php seem to be about playing music in the background of the site.

If I cannot use Drop Box any other ideas

Oldn

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    If you configure the HTML settings not to automatically play, your visitors will have to click the players in their browsers to start playing. You can have an embed player per recording without any issues. Another option would be to use Javascript or jQuery to display, but that is probably something you are not familiar with?

I don't know if you can use DropBox, as I said. You can always try with a single file, that surely needs to be publicly accessible. If that isn't possible, I don't know if other services such as SkyDrive or Google's Drive would be possible. The obvious solution for this would be to buy extra space with your host, which likely is not even that expensive, since you likely are using Linux based hosting.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

oldn (2013-10-13)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Dropbox is a file sync site, not a file access site. You won't be able to access the files as you require.

When you request a file from a web site, be it HTML, GIF, MP3 etc, it is downloaded to your PC before being opened. To play audio files without download you need to stream them from your web site. This requires a streaming program - and access to the server to run it - and storage for the files.

cheers, Paul

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

oldn (2013-10-13)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Dropbox is a file sync site, not a file access site. You won't be able to access the files as you require.

When you request a file from a web site, be it HTML, GIF, MP3 etc, it is downloaded to your PC before being opened. To play audio files without download you need to stream them from your web site. This requires a streaming program - and access to the server to run it - and storage for the files.

cheers, Paul
    On the contrary, I think you CAN use DropBox to store your files, and give access to them from a webpage on your own site. What you have to do is place the audio files in the "Public" folder of your DropBox account, then go to your DropBox account on the Web, open the Public folder, and right-click on the file you wish to reference and select "Copy public link" - this will enable you to copy the link to your clipboard, from where you can paste it as a link in your web page.

The question of how a person's browser will play it is a different one - possibly the best solution is to embed a player pointing to your file for each file you wish to offer.

I have tried this for myself, and my (Firefox) browser plays the file using the QuickTime player without my having to embed the player in a web page - simply include the link on the page.

EDIT: Apparently when you open a DropBox account now, there is no Public folder - but your CAN create one, then proceed as above.
    See this page for information: https://www.dropbox.com/help/16/en

Hope this helps.
    Paul
    Last edited by pablo234; 2013-10-17 at 04:48.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pablo234 For This Useful Post:

oldn (2013-10-18)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for your ideas I will have to look a some of them

Cheers chaps

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul

Made a one-page site to test it

I have installed Dropbox, up loaded a mp3 file, made it public.

I click on the link, it asks me to verifier my email address, then a new page comes up black with a player and it plays the mp3

But

I can’t seem to get a link to it that I can use on my web site.

I thought I post in to their forum, easier said that done, when I try it says verifier your email address, tried to post came back to verifier your email address

I found a posting with the same sort of idea to play a sound record with out downloading it, tried to reply back to verifier your email address, and I do every time porting on their forum is harder then installing dropbox and getting it to play a mp3

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd say the email verification box is to prevent you linking directly from your web page. You may have to find another site that allows file sharing, or pay money for more space on your web site.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul
    I think you may be right, on looking through the dropbox forum, I found a posting asking more or less the same question, about putting short cuts on web sites,
    but with PFDs not MP3s it was 12 months ago and no one had answered his question