New Lounger
    Thanks

Post Unable to reset password in Outlook.com

I help my 82 year old aunt with email. For years she's had MSN then Live mail and now Outlook.com. As MS transitioned to each, my aunt didn't have to do anything - the screen would change but she was still able to check her email. She was automatically logged in to her email, and hadn't changed her password, but also did not remember it. I didn't worry about it since she was still able to get to her email no matter what MS did.
    The problem: months ago MS did the final move to Outlook.com and suddenly my aunt was not automatically logged in anymore. So I thought, ok, let's click the reset password link and finally create a new password for her. Well if anyone has tried that you have found that suddenly you must prove with multiple types of information that your email account - which MS suddenly decided it needed this much info. My aunt didn't change anything, MS did. We have not been able to get to her email for months.

To verify your email account you must supply to MS, a combination of previous passwords, email addresses, mother maiden name, place of birth etc. so that MS can decide it has enough info to verify your account as yours. This would sound easy for most of us but my aunt - though she can still do email - does not have, does not remember enough email addresses, old passwords and that type of info. When we do put in info like her mothers maiden name, place of birth - which is correct, MS says it is not.

I have tried several times to find a way to contact MS by email to hopefully have a live person help me but all Outlook.com links lead back to filling out this form to verify and the form is approved or denied by computer. There is no way to bump this up to a human that I have found. I am reluctant to call any MS number as I may get a 3rd party company that has no interest in helping me and I can't find any number that guarantees I would be dealing with MS itself.

I have others who are not very happy with outlook.com in general but my aunt has it the worst.
    If anyone has a solid MS phone number, or a solid MS email address that would get me to MS; or any other ideas how I can reclaim my aunts email account I'd appreciate it.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    I don't think there is a direct support line for hotmail. However, if you go here: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/, and click the Ask Button, you will get a chat window to open. This window will have several links on the right. Click the one for hotmail and you get something like this:

Capture.PNG

You will see that it offers the suggestion to post in a Microsoft Community to get help from Microsoft agents. That is probably a good way to get help.

Also, I am not sure if you tried the Customer Support option referred to in this page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...otten-password

Probably another way you can try... and I hope you can convince them that your aunt is the legitimate account owner.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks but all those links takes me back to the same form where I have to put in multiple pieces of information about my aunt's account and MS decides if we've put in enough info to satisfy them.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    The only option to have a human reply is to use the Microsoft Community post.
    Rui
    -------
    R4