Lounger
    Thanks

Date picker in 64-bit Excel 2010

Hi All,

Finally moving from 32 bit Win XP & Excel 2003 to 64 bit Win 7 & Excel 2010. When I opened some of these old 2003 workbooks in Excel 2010, it did not recognize the Date Picker Active X control Microsoft Windows Common Controls - 2 (SP4). I copied MSCOMCT2.OCX, MSCOMCT2.DEP & MSCOMCT2.SRG into the C:\Windows\System32 folder from my old system & ran regsvr32 "C:\Windows\System32\MSCOMCT2.OCX" but got the following error message:

"The module was loaded but the call to dllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x8002801c"

A quick search of the KB only points to one article about Visual C++, .NET about UNregistering a control.

I don't remember seeing this VBA function in the list of items that were no longer supported in Office 2010. Do I need to do something different to register this control?

Thanks for the help!

John

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft has not provided a 64 bit version of Common Controls. The OCX works fine with 32-bit Office, but not 64 bit. Microsoft suggests contacting the manufacturer for the 64 bit version. (No kidding.)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to richardbarrett For This Useful Post:

kamski (2013-10-13)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Speaking as a novice here, could one use VB .NET Express to pop a date picker control in a project that interops with COM, generate a DLL and reference that object in your Excel project? I guess it would need an interface to expose the date picker, through which the picker's members could be accessed. Or is that idea a non-starter?