Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8.1 Installation

I am running Windows 8 Pro 64-bit. I (apparently) have a corrupted system file(s) as relates to File Manager. Will the installation of Windows 8.1 restore the correct file(s) just as well as a Windows Refresh or Reset would? Your help will be appreciated very much.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The answer to your question is ... maybe. When you install a Service Pack or major upgrade, files that are no longer needed are deleted, hundreds or thousands of files that have been upgraded are reinstalled, and new files are installed.

I have gotten lucky in the past and had an upgrade fix a damaged Windows (or Linux) install, but if the broken file is not one of the ones that is reinstalled, or if the problem is in the Registry, or a configuration file, then of course it won't fix your computer. The odds are against you, but it's worth trying if you can live with your computer the way it is until Thursday when the 8.1 download will be available.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Prescott For This Useful Post:

WarrenA (2013-10-22)

Thanks
    I would also try running
    SFC /Scannow
    from an elevated command prompt to fix any corrupted system files.

Jerry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

WarrenA (2013-10-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. I will upgrade to 8.1 while crossing my fingers. I had run SFC earlier and although some files were repaired others could not be, as reported in the log file. Unfortunately when I tried to open the log file I was denied access. I can't imagine why not because I run everything as administrator. I would be helpful to know what was't fixed by scannow. Any further thoughts or suggestions you might have will be most welcome.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I suggest that you resolve your current issues before upgrading to 8.1. It is never advisable to update/upgrade your operating system if you are having problems. I recommend you backup your data at a minimum and try a refresh first.

There is no guarantee that the Windows 8.1 upgrade process will resolve any of your errors.

Joe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

WarrenA (2013-10-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Super great bunch here.
    I have 8, and am changing out some parts, mobo, ram etc...My plan is to hopefully take the 8.1 freebie, save it to a directory, & also update it so the same reg # applies...and then move the OS (in directory) to a new ssd??? ya think it'll work??? On social security I simply cant go for $100+ on a new 8.1 because i changed hardware

I thank u 2 much rick

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rickart View Post
    Super great bunch here.
    I have 8, and am changing out some parts, mobo, ram etc...My plan is to hopefully take the 8.1 freebie, save it to a directory, & also update it so the same reg # applies...and then move the OS (in directory) to a new ssd??? ya think it'll work??? On social security I simply cant go for $100+ on a new 8.1 because i changed hardware

I thank u 2 much rick
    Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade to Windows 8. Windows 8.1 is a download from the Windows Store. You can not save it and apply it later. Once you have your Windows 8 system back in shape you should be offered Windows 8.1. Just install it and you should not have to worry about entering a key as long as you have a retail version of Windows 8.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I should have been more specific about my Windows 8 problem when I first opened this thread. I have no idea how or when it started but this is substantially all I can tell you: When I right-click any file in the left pane of File Explorer, File Explorer closes and I am returned to whatever page I was last working on. There is no right-click context menu. When I right-click on a file in the right pane, the standard right-click menu is available. In other words, anything I wish to work with must be in the right pane. I can limp along this way but it is very awkward and frustrating. I was told by my OEM that it was probably a system file problem and that I would probably have to reinstall Windows 8 (I have the install disk) but I would like to avoid that if at all possible. Hence, I was hoping that 8.1 might be my solution.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It is more likely a File Explorer extension which adds something to the context menu. See if any of the programs mentioned at Edit, Add, Remove items from New Context Menu in Windows 8 | 7 help.

Joe

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

WarrenA (2013-10-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Guys, you can actually download the Windows 8.1 ISO from microsoft site, just follow the steps here http://gensanblog.com/2013/10/18/how...ndows-8-1-iso/

Thanks
    It appears this is only if you have a product key from a purchase of Win 8.1 and are upgrading from Win 7 or the Win 8.1 preview. If you already have a valid installation of Win 8, the article specifically states you should upgrade to Win 8.1 through the Store App.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I started this thread thinking that installing Windows 8.1 might fix what was thought to be corrupted system files. I subsequently gave up on that idea and concentrated on finding a fix for my right-click context menu problem in File Explorer. A search in the Windows Community Windows 8 forum made mention of ShellExView by Nirsoft. This app finds all of the extensions on a computer. I disabled all of the extensions except those from Microsoft. The right-click context menu in the left pane of File Explorer is back. I don't know at this point which non-MS extension caused the problem and I won't try re-enabling any of them unless a specific need pops up. My thanks to everyone for their contributions to this thread. A single suggestion can lead to a trail with the ultimate solution at its endl.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenA View Post
    Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions. I will upgrade to 8.1 while crossing my fingers. I had run SFC earlier and although some files were repaired others could not be, as reported in the log file. Unfortunately when I tried to open the log file I was denied access. I can't imagine why not because I run everything as administrator. I would be helpful to know what was't fixed by scannow. Any further thoughts or suggestions you might have will be most welcome.
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
    Type the above in an elevated command prompt for details from the CBS.LOG.
    NOTE: This will place a sfcdetails.txt file on your desktop with only the SFC scan result details from the CBS.LOG in it.
    (info obtained from the WindowsSevenForum)

SFC /SCANNOW Command - Run in Windows 8
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-10-22 at 19:01.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for showing me how to retrieve the SCANNOW log. Now, if only I knew how to decipher it:
    2013-10-30 11:34:27, Info CSI 000006dc [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB" of prncacla.inf, Version = 6.2.9200.16430, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch My computer seems to be running okay and what impact this has on anything, I don't know.

Thanks
    Now that everything is working, be sure to do a complete system backup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast