Thanks

A clean-slate reinstall for Windows 8

Fred Langa discusses re-installing windows 8 in his article in Windows Secrets.

But if I bought the machine with Windows 8 already installed, how will I:

1) Know where to find all the install files needed for the process (if they are even on the machine), and

2) When it asks me for the serial number, where do I find THAT?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    Most of the new PCs have the keys imbedded in the System Reserved partition I believe instead of on a tag affixed to the PC.

Windows should search for the install files by itself. Should not need anything from you, unless you have deleted something.

It is my belief that a good, and regularly recreated, system Image is better than a Refresh, Reset or Reinstallation as the Image will contain ALL you user files, data, customizations, changes, additions, deletions (of junkware, etc.). This Image contains an exact duplicate of your complete system when it was created, and can be restored in under 10 minutes in most cases.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanks Ted. I agree that imaging regularly is a good idea. The problem is that it isn't my machine and changes have been made since the initial setup, so I have no progressive backups to rely on. What I had figured was that, since at this point I still know next to nothing about W-8, once I got to a point that I had some idea of what I was doing I would "start over" and image as I went.

I have on more than one occasion, wiped my drive and "started clean." Is there some hidden partition that W-8 sets up to hold all the info that I should steer clear of?

Regards,
    Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    On the newer UEFI versus Bios systems, these partitions are set up. Since I do not yet have one of these systems I cannot definitively tell you the hows or what fors of these type systems. I have read just enough to really screw something up if I were not careful. I know there are others who have played with these new systems that I'm sure will chime in here.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy