New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 Stops Recognizing Password

First off...let me say Caps and Num Lock are not the issue. Nor is the keyboard.

Three times now (over the last two years but two in the last month) I have tried to login to my Dell Win 7 SP1 machine and not have it recognize my password.

The first time (a couple of years ago) I was able to login to the account that I had made for my adult (computer savvy) son who was checking on our house while we were out of town. I had made his account (thank goodness) an administrator account, so I was able to change my p/w from his account.

The second time there was no other user account besides mine (I had done a clean re-install...just for the fun of it) and I tried and tried over and over because I was sure of the p/w and finally I was logged in. Go figure. I am sure that I did not have caps or num lock on and I entered the letters very carefully so the odds of it being a typo, oh some 30-40 times, I think, are slim. But I got in, changed the p/w and all was well until this am. This is where it gets truly strange.

Same thing, turned 'puter on and tried to login...repeadly...no luck. Did a search on another device, found a few people who had the same problem (dated a couple of years ago) and tried the solutions suggested. The did not work...even in Safe Mode, the machine required a login and my p/w did not work. Sigh...I finally rooted through boxes (I had moved my office) and found the two Dell restore disks I had made when I got the machine. Ran them, got to the screen where files that I wanted backed up were and clicked on the advance option to select the files myself...after some time the screen showed me a file tree but the files had no labels. Sigh... Even the nav buttons at the bottom of the screen were visible but no text. I clicked on the left button assuming that was the back button and it took me to a.....blank screen. Made a cup of coffee...in case it was just uber slow...still a blank screen. I tried CTRL-ALT-DEL, no joy, so I powered down the box. Forgetting that I had removed the restore CD, I restarted the 'puter to try again...of course since the CD was out (I had set it as the first boot device) it went to the login screen. I decided, what the hay, and put my p/w in again and...it logged me in.

Next thing I did was set up a user (administrator) account for my cat. Don't ask. Then I attempted to change my p/w....it would not let me b/c it DID NOT RECOGNIZE MY P/W...sorry for shouting but my head is about to explode and that is a pressure vent. I could not remove my p/w or make a p/w reset disk, same reason.

Fearing to logout, I switched users and used my cat's account to change my p/w there. I was able to get back in with new p/w and I also made a p/w reset disk...which did not work when I tried it on the cat's account.

I would appreciate any input as this is driving me nuts! Thanks guys. ;-)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you done a complete malware scan?

Any indication of hardware problem in the event logs?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe, Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I did complete a malware check. I did not check the event logs...not sure how to do that...but I'd be happy to learn.
    This morning, I did notice that it will not take my password when I hit enter (which I've always done) but did take it when I clicked on the little arrow to the right of the p/w box. Which may or may not explain why it would not take it to change/delete my p/w. I'm pretty sure I used "enter" in the other account...b/c I am more of a keyboard person than a mouse person.

I use to know a lot of this stuff but three years out of practice seems like I'm starting over again!

Also, my video went away. Now I blew out the box a couple of months ago (I do try to keep it clean!) but after trying a different cable and monitor, I took the video card out (the fan was a bit dusty) blew it off and reinserted. Video is working now. I'll watch to see if I loose signal again now that I know it's clean and seated properly...then I guess a new card is in my future.

Have a wonderful day! ;-) lc

Administrator
    Thanks
    To view the event logs use Win+R and then type in "eventvwr.msc", hit Enter.

Open the "Windows Logs" section. Look at the System & Applications logs.

Is your keyboard wired or wireless? If wireless, USB or Bluetooth? If wireless, have you checked the batteries recently?

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Purple 'Puter Lady (2013-10-23)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe, I'll check it as soon as possible. My keyboard is "wired" USB. BTW...it seems that I will be using the mouse to login...every time I've tried it with "Enter" I get the same response but "mousing" allows me to login. ;-)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you try the keypad Enter key instead of the typing keys Enter are the results any different?

Thanks
    Have you got another keyboard you could try, just to eliminate the keyboard. F.U.N's suggestion might show that as well....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all, thanks for the replies....I think I'm haunted. I tried F.U.N's suggestion and access-mdb, I had already tried another keyboard. Funny thing..."Enter" on number pad worked...so I logged off and tried the regular "Enter" key and it worked too. That's how I logged in just now. Sure sounds like malware or a virus...or a "haint". Whatever it is, it seems to be intermittent. I'm using McAffee Security Center...any other suggestions that I might try that would "play nice" with that?

As for the video going in and out...no problems since I blew it out, so perhaps it just needed to be re-seated or perhaps the dust (although it was not a large amount) caused it to overheat or unbalance the fan....or something.

;-) lc

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Still hoping for a recommendation for software that will check for malware and will play nice with my McAffee Security Center. ;-)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

In bios try checking that 'Num Lock' is not set on. If it is this might mean you have to use the number pad enter button.
    If not familiar with the bios you may have to search the different menu options to find it.
    As for McAfee i would get rid of it and install Avast either free version or paid for.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2013-10-23 at 09:36.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to curiousclive For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple 'Puter Lady View Post
    Still hoping for a recommendation for software that will check for malware and will play nice with my McAffee Security Center. ;-)
    You should not have more than one anti-malware solution running that checks in real time. If you want a product that you can invoke to run a scan when you wish try Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.

Joe

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input Curiousclive...I had not thought to check that. I have now checked it and Num Lock was/is not set on. Everything is working well right now...but that has been the case in the past...it seems to be an intermittent problem. I'll just keep my fingers crossed. I am curious to know why you suggest ridding myself of McAfee? I ditched Norton years ago b/c it was such a resource hog. Thanks again! ;-)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Both Norton & McAfee had reputations years ago as being resource hogs. Both have worked to reduce their resource usage. If you are happy with McAfee and it does not seem to bog down your system stick with it.

Joe

19. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Purple 'Puter Lady (2013-10-24)

Thanks
    USB on your computer might be having some issues. Try a different USB port for your keyboard. Or, if you have PS/2 ports, try a PS/2 keyboard. (Don't forget that with PS/2, you have to power down before connecting the keyboard.)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Purple 'Puter Lady (2013-10-24)