10 Windows Tweaking Myths Debunked

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

TedNewk (2013-10-14)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Joe

Thanks
    What a remarkable amount of (un-?)common sense in one article!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    #2, ReadyBoost: He has the wrong end of the stick here, it's about speeding up data access from disk, not about extra 'memory'. Works best (though rarely actually noticeable) on slow drives, laptop 5,400's and slower, especially.

#4, disabling the page file: Yep, not likely to boost performance, Windows will silently create a temporary paging file anyway, if it's needed. Disabling it will free up expensive SSD space for those who have sufficient RAM, I have no page file on my 1.5GB RAM, 8GB 'SSD' netbook, keeps it usable when I go mobile. Conversely, I used to have a notebook w/2GB RAM, 3x hard drives with a 4GB page file on each - that was the best way to get it to do all I needed of it at the time.

On this 8GB RAM PC, I have only 100MB page file on the System drive, another 100MB and a 100MB - 1024MB on the other 2x drives - it keeps disk I/O down on the System drive and rarely uses more than the 300MB allocated. MS have a Hotfix available for W7 so that it saves memory dumps if there's no page file set, too.

#6, Clean Your Prefetch: Windows doesn't manage it, it merely overwrites the oldest file when something new is accessed. Just check the box in Ccleaner to get rid of the oldest entries and those that no longer exist as part of your normal cleanup routine prior to running your backup/image creation.

#10, Windows Services: sure, leave them all at default settings, more (useless) updates to download and install and it leaves you more vulnerable should another PC on the network get a worm. I tailor my Services to those that are needed and used, not the defaults, which are geared towards the Enterprise plus a kitchen sink-load of home media sharing extras added.

Bottom line: non -default settings can give better results for a minority of users.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Darn, there they go changing things again...now I have to relearn everything I thought I knew. On the brighter side now that I've knocked that stuff out of the ole cranium I'll have room to store some new stuff. Yeah RIGHT!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Doesn't work that way my friend. As we age a little less than gracefully, the available space decreases, so in fact you just got back to where you were a year ago.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Remind me who are you again?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    OMG, does the phrase, "Don't believe everything you read", come to mind? Geeesh

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    What a remarkable amount of (un-?)common sense in one article!
    Is that a nice and polite way of saying "BS!" ???

OOOps! I just said it, didn't I? My BAD!

When talking about tweaking and tuning a PC for MAX performance, I've always admitted that some tweaks will work better on some PC's than others, but if a single tweak will get you just 1% increase in performance, then add another 50 such Tweaks and VOILA!, you're just increased your performance by 50%. Neat!

In actuality, I have a tune-up package that I apply to every Laptop PC (for instance) that almost doubles its performance. (they're so slow by their very nature) Every time I read about some new tune-up TIP, I try it and if it doesn't have a Negative effect, I use it. What the heck! Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Eh?

But that's OK, I'm used to the Nay-Sayers. The same self-proclaimed Experts told me years ago that I absolutely "Could not" run XP on a FAT-32 formatted hard drive. Wanna bet? I've been doing it now for about 12 years and XP runs like a scalded cat on a FAT-32 formatted drive.
    During the XP install, when it asks me if I want to reformat the drive to NTFS, I just say "NO" and as Jackie Gleason used to say, "and away we go!"

The same Nay-Sayers told me that I could not partition and format a 1TB hard drive using the DOS programs FDISK and Format.com.
    More BS! I do it, and it works great! The DOS format is the only one that will examine every sector on the drive, for bad sectors, and block them out so when you install Windows, it won't be running into bad sectors and creating drive errors. I'm more than willing, to spend the time for a DOS Format to finish, to get the safety and peace of mind it provides.

If I ever start my own Computer Forum, I'll ban all the Nay-Sayers! Nay-Sayers didn't build this world, the Forward Thinkers did. So keep looking forward and not being afraid to try something new. Eh mates?

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor (aka, The TechnoMage)
    Last edited by DrWho; 2013-10-16 at 09:53.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Will those who wish to disagree with the linked article please be specific in their criticism. The generalities are worse than useless they will likely mislead someone who is not as knowledgeable as others.

Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks
    You have a good point, Joe. Sorry that I didn't bother to go into details or break it down. I may try to take time to do so, soon. It's challenging & will take some time putting thought into it when one wants to attempt to say sensible things in response to things that don't make sense or are so skewed in an article so as to jibe some bias or notion the author, already, has & wants to project on to others.

I've seen a few articles like this and it's hard to know where to start or quite what to say, though, maybe, more effort should/could be made so lay people will know why some of us laugh at or over such writings OR shake our heads & roll our eyes. Especially since largely our reaction is because we, also, know lay people will, also, be reading such dribble & not know that it should not be taken @ face value. Truly, as an IT Pro, we feel sorry for the average End User being exposed to stuff like this. Doesn't do them or us any good, @ all.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Drew,

I feel the same way when people proclaim performance benefits for tweaks which in reality do nothing or so little as to be useless. I have found that with a modern PC I'm better off spending my time using it for what I want rather than trying to squeeze out some undefined performance improvement.

I do not claim to be one of the "experts" that DrWho rails about but I have been programming, maintaining, & using computers for more 45 years. I have quite a bit of experience in performance analysis and tuning for computers of all sizes from small PCs to large mainframe systems. I do not believe claims that are not backed up by performance numbers.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Truly, as an IT Pro, we feel sorry for the average End User being exposed to stuff like this. Doesn't do them or us any good,
    Is that the royal we, or just you and Dr Who? As an IT Pro, I think this article should be required reading for all users, which would do all of us good.

There are no real disagreements with the article in the 23 comments at that site.

Bruce

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Is that the royal we, or just you and Dr Who? As an IT Pro, I think this article should be required reading for all users, which would do all of us good.

There are no real disagreements with the article in the 23 comments at that site.

Bruce
    I was referring to myself & fellow IT Pros that I encounter @ seminars, conferences and in business activities, etc.; not anyone here or anyone in particular. More like a generic we than any "royal" we. I cannot agree w/ you & that's ok... I've seen much better articles to have as required reading.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    Item 2 in that article, "Enable ReadyBoost to Speed Up Modern PCs"...

One thing that will make the ReadyBoost arguement moot is to install a SolidStateDrive.
    I got this after replacing my spinning disk with a SSD.
    Readyboost.gif
    Happy Computing,

Rich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast