Thanks

Windows 8.1 Will Start Encrypting Hard Drives By Default: Everything You Need to Know

Thanks
    From the link, "There should be no real reason to disable device encryption." I don't agree. "I don't want my device encrypted" is a real reason.

I'm simply not going to be using a Microsoft account to logon my desktop or laptop on a routine basis, and Microsoft is not going to have a key to an encrypted device that belongs to me. Yes, I know I only own a license for the use of Microsoft Windows, but I outright own the hardware, I don't license it. I'll do with it as I will.

Device encryption is not by any means a useful feature for me, and I won't be using it. And the poor souls who forget their password (and we all know there are plenty of them out there) are going to be in a real pickle.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I agree with you. I posted this as more of a warning than a recommendation. Device encryption has its place for some users but should not be enabled by default.

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    OMG,

Just think of all those poor souls who are still looking for the "Any Key".
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Windows 8.1 Will Start Encrypting Hard Drives By Default
    ... unless you upgrade from Windows 8.0

Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Device encryption is not by any means a useful feature for me, and I won't be using it.
    Would you change your mind about this if your computer and then your identity got stolen?

And the poor souls who forget their password (and we all know there are plenty of them out there) are going to be in a real pickle.
    Why? There are multiple methods to reset a Microsoft account password.

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Would you change your mind about this if your computer and then your identity got stolen?
    Bruce
    Nope. I can live with the odds of that happening. I'm more concerned about encryption issues like image backup and lost passwords. Yes there are methods to reset Microsoft passwords but they don't always work. If you feel safer with encryption, more power to you. I don't object to the inclusion of encryption, just to making it default (unless upgrading as you pointed out)

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Yes there are methods to reset Microsoft passwords but they don't always work.
    Any evidence for this, like a user permanently locked out of their Microsoft account?

Bruce

Thanks
    I can't find them right now but I recall reading a couple of posts here and on Microsoft Answers where users had their Hotmail/Outlook.com accounts hacked and none of the Microsoft recovery methods worked.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Any evidence for this, like a user permanently locked out of their Microsoft account?

Bruce
    There was a post a couple days ago describing a situation where access was lost to hotmail.com and it was getting quite hard to regain it. Surprising as it may be, it seems password requests are handled automatically and it's hard to get a human operator on your case. Seems the solution is to post in a community forum and hope some supervisor sees the request.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Device encryption is not by any means a useful feature for me, and I won't be using it.
    Not at all. In my case, the odds against that need a bucket full of zero's to put after the first number.

And the poor souls who forget their password (and we all know there are plenty of them out there) are going to be in a real pickle.
    Why? There are multiple methods to reset a Microsoft account password.
    Why? Because they don't work in 100% of cases.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    100% of what? I can only see one user in that year-old thread who was unable to reset (at that time) his Microsoft account. Well, I guess 1 of 1 is 100%!

I suspect that resetting a Microsoft account password works just fine for the vast majority of hundreds of millions of users.

Bruce

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems like this will make data recovery durn neer impossible except in the ever narrowing confines of the methodology provided by Microsoft. Because lets face it, a very high percentage of users still don't back up. Some folks are protected by an overabundance of security; I believe they're labeled prisons.

Thanks
    I suspect that resetting a Microsoft account password works just fine for the vast majority of hundreds of millions of users.

Bruce
    Unless you're not in that majority, and that account has your device encrypted. I counted more than one, by the way, (and that's only one thread - there are other threads and other cases). One solution was a factory restore. Another solution was to revert to a regular user account. Neither would get an encrypted drive restored.

I'm perfectly OK with you encrypting your device. I'm perfectly OK with anyone else encrypting their device. I won't be encrypting mine, because I'm not OK with it for me.

I also foresee posts to the Windows 8 Forum about users being locked out of their devices. Time will tell.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Seems like this will make data recovery durn neer impossible except in the ever narrowing confines of the methodology provided by Microsoft.
    I'm not goin' there.

Unleash Windows