Lounger
    Thanks

Wrong reply address

I use Outlook 2010 32-bit with Win 7 Pro 64-bit. I have a primary email address (let's call it user1). I also have two aliases (user2 and user3). Whenever I reply to an email, the alias user2 is used as reply address instead of user1. User1 is set “Send from this account by default“. Is there another setting that I am missing? Is it something my ISP should change?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 1,061 Posts
    Outlook will reply, by default, from the account through which the email was received.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    That is the problem. I receive an email sent to user1. When I reply, Outlook uses user2 instead of user1. When the original email is sent to user2, the reply is also sent from user2. Outlook never uses user1 in a reply.
    Any new emails I create uses user1 as it should be.
    Is there another setting that needs to be changed?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Are you receiving from each account separately, in Outlook?

You don't need to do anything to get the desired behavior. To change it, I would think you could only change it if you had rules in place to override the default behavior.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have any rules activated that effects user1, user2 or user3.
    I receive the email under three different accounts / names. I can see which are addressed to which user. (If I understand your question correctly).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hard to say what may be going on. Are you actually able to send email through user1, that is, if you choose it, does it go through successfully?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have a look at the following link: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/out...fault-account/
    It explains that the email account used to send messages depends on the .pst file used and gives a registry modification which forces all new messages to use the default email account, regardless of which pst file you are viewing. (Be sure to back up your registry before modifying it!)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheAncient For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2013-10-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You may also want to check the reply settings for each of the accounts you have setup in Outlook by going to Tools, Account Settings. Open the first account and then click on More Settings. Make sure it has the corrrect reply email address. Repeat for each of you accounts.