Thanks

Smile T minus 2 Days & counting...

(Only) 2 Days to go to Windows 8.1

All good things come to he who waits...

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Thanks
    Make that 24 hours now. Anything I need to do before I do it? How long does it take to install? And can I not use SkyDrive? I don't want to be saving stuff there. I already use Google Drive.
    Last edited by Kala; 2013-10-16 at 08:51.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    Make that 24 hours now. Anything I need to do before I do it? How long does it take to install? And can I not use SkyDrive? I don't want to be saving stuff there. I already use Google Drive.
    Kala,

Yep, only, 24 hrs, now Just make sure, prior, that your existing Windows 8 is clean & healthy. It takes only a very few minutes. There is no obligation to use SkyDrive; it's just appealing because it's integrated & easily accessible across multiple devices. But, you can, certainly, continue using that google product.

ENJOY!

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Banned Member
    Thanks
    (Only) 1 Day to go to Windows 8.1!!

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Make sure that you backup your system before beginning the update. In case I wasn't clear:

BE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR SYSTEM BEFORE BEGINNING THE UPDATE.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Kala,

Yep, only, 24 hrs, now Just make sure, prior, that your existing Windows 8 is clean & healthy. It takes only a very few minutes. There is no obligation to use SkyDrive; it's just appealing because it's integrated & easily accessible across multiple devices. But, you can, certainly, continue using that google product.

ENJOY!

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg
    Clean & healthy?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Make sure that you backup your system before beginning the update. In case I wasn't clear:

BE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR SYSTEM BEFORE BEGINNING THE UPDATE.

Joe
    Ah, now just need to find a way so it won't take all night. What should I back up?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Back up everything. If you don't already use an imaging program there are several which Loungers like. See the Maintenance Forum for threads about system backup. If you are confused post a question there.

Joe
    Last edited by satrow; 2013-10-16 at 22:03. Reason: Fixed URL

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Back up everything. If you don't already use an imaging program there are several which Loungers like. See the Maintenance Forum for threads about system backup. If you are confused post a question there.

Joe
    Um, when I clicked on the link I got this: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...0-details.aspx

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    Um, when I clicked on the link ...
    Now fixed.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Kala,

"Clean & healthy?" I meant the machine Malware free and tuned-up or kept running @ its optimum.... just normal, regular TLC & maintenance.

Joe is, certainly, of course, right to mention Back-up, both image & data. And I was wrong not to have mentioned it. I have to admit, in my own defence, I think I tend to take it for granted. But, sadly, most people don't. Recovery discs should be burnt, data should be kept initially or redundantly of drives separate from the OS drive or external drives or media used. Programs, even those that are natively in the OS used on an on-going, daily, basis used. Such practices transcend doing back-up prior to something like grabbing Windows 8.1 or whatever. These things should already be in force all the time, anyway.

External drives are a great way since, when the back-up is enabled & sent to them an image is taken and data is constantly migrated to there, as well.

Do take Windows 8.1 when it becomes available tomorrow. It has great features, settings and options people will like and its performance boost is fantastic!!

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg