Ken Kashmarek

Windows 7 unwanted driver - achernar.sys

When I transitioned my HP d4650y (32-bit) computer from the distributed WinXP install, to Windows 7 (in a separate partition), I tried to load the software that I had been using on XP for my Canon LIDE80 scanner. However, it would not install because it was not supported on Win7 (software package was Newsoft Presto Page Manager v6). I was directed to the Newsoft web site to download the supported version, Presto Page Manager v9 (PPM9).

Unbeknownst to me, the software install process placed a driver on my system, achernar.sys. It is tagged as a SCSI command filter routine. (don't ask what it does, I don't care)

After rejecting PPM9 as a suitable piece of code (not wanting to pay a license fee for continued use), I uninstalled the package. However, it left behind this driver (did not remove it from the registry or from the drivers directory).

I was unaware of its presence until I had to examine my system closely for other reasons. I searched the web for a way to remove this driver, but nobody had one (many hits on the driver but NO ANSWERS). I found one program that attempted to remove it, but the process corrupted the registry (could not boot the partition under any circumstances).

After several days work for recovery (yes, I got everything back but that is a story for another day), I called Newsoft directly, and a technician helped after I convinced the individual that PPM9 did in fact install this driver. The technician searched their database and this was provided in response to my request:
    -----------------------------------
    PageManager 9 Removal Tool

http://download.newsoftinc.com/nai/n...ol_PM901xx.exe

Please make sure that the PageManager 9 is not listed in the program & features/add & remove in the control panel before running this utility.
    -----------------------------------
    It was indicated that all the registry entries would be removed, and I expect that once this is complete and the system is running satisfactorily (re-boot), then the actual driver file can be removed. Backups and image file will be made before this is attempted.

I decided to post this because I found no other references on the web for this information. If necessary, you can find the Newsoft contact number on their web site (Google search for Newsoft Software or Presto Page Manager, and once there, look at the Contact Us page).

Does anybody else have any experience with the driver? I was told that other software also installs this driver, so does anybody have other software that installs achernar.sys?

Ken Kashmarek
    Update: with regard to the Page Manager 9 Removal Tool, when ran on my system, it did NOTHING. The unwanted driver was still there. Since then, I have learned from another source that the driver, achernar.sys, is used for CD writing but I have not confirmed this. I have posted the question back to Newsoft support but they have not responded on the failure of the tool to remove the driver, nor have they responded with any information on being able to remove the driver.

I did find a registry program, blitzblank, that has a function to remove drivers from a system, but that operation corrupted the registry. Restore of the registry was necessary to recover the system. Outside of this particular failure, the vendor for this program indicated that removal of the driver service entry would accomplish the same result. That was done, producing the same failure (again, restore of the registry was necessay to recover the system). At this point, it appears that this driver cannot be removed (or at least, not easily).

Do I have to resort to going to Microsoft? Surely someone knows how to remove a driver from a Win7 system. Please.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kashmarek View Post
    Surely someone knows how to remove a driver from a Win7 system.
    Ken,

Hello... I know that you probably have done or tried this .. Computer Management> Device Manager > find the driver Right click on it and either disable or remove... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Ken Kashmarek
    Thanks for the update. Went down that path. The driver is not listed as a driver per say. Devices are listed and it is not the primary driver on any specific device on the system.

In this area, you have to find drivers by device. achernar.sys is noted as a SCSI command filter driver. Apparently it is not listed as a driver for any specific device.

However, at this point, your suggestion yielded results. I started searching EVERY device and listed the drivers. I found achernar.sys.

It is listed under this device:

Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/D0 SATA RAID Controller

It has a device class of SCSI adapter.

The bus reported device description say RAID Controller.

The provider is listed as Intel.

The Class lower filters value is Achernar.

Under driver details, the provider is listed as NewSoft Technology Corporation (Copyright -same-), the provider of the Presto Page Manager v9 software I once installed.

This RAID controller has a primary driver from Intel.

So, now the question becomes "Why is achernar.sys a lower filter driver for the Intel RAID controller?"

NOTE: this is why the system won't boot when only this driver is removed from the registry. The entire RAID controller must be removed.

Since I don't have any RAID on this system, I can probably remove the raid controller and clean this up once and for all.

Thank you again.

Who would have thought this was hooked to the unused raid controller. Looks like malware at this point.

Thanks
    Who would have thought this was hooked to the unused raid controller. Looks like malware at this point.
    Not necessarily malware. Many printers and all-in-one's use a port driver, whether USB or SCSI. I have a virtual CD Drive that installs an SCSI driver, even though it is a virtual device, not actual hardware.

Any device (real or virtual) needs a port or bus of some kind in order to communicate with the other hardware in the system (memory bus, CPU etc.)

I would say you can safely remove that device, and then you should be able to get rid of the registry entries without difficulty.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Ken Kashmarek
    New update:

IntelRAIDController-drivers.jpg

This is where the achernar.sys driver is hooked in.

I did remove the Intel RAID controller through device management. However, to complete process, re-boot was necessary. Upon re-boot, the controller comes right back. During boot, the messages indicate that no RAID devices were found (has always been that way as I have none configured). I suspect the controller is the same controller that runs the 6 SATA ports on the motherboard for normal disk I/O, thus it CANNOT be removed. It seems I am stuck with this achernar.sys driver, unless there is some way to identify registry changes to remove it from the storage controller definition.

Thanks
    Try blocking it from loading using Autoruns: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems I am stuck with this achernar.sys driver, unless there is some way to identify registry changes to remove it from the storage controller definition.
    Ken,

Hello... If you open "Registry Editor">Edit> Find...You then can "Export" The "Reg Entry" ..or remove it ( Delete) ..You may have to "Take ownership" of the entry before it will let you do anything.. Just make sure that you make a full system "Image" before you "mess" with the registry... Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Ken Kashmarek
    Fred: that has already been done, the system wouldn't boot, and the registry had to be recovered to be usable again.

I believe there is a dependency between the entries for iaStorV.sys and achernar.sys, such that the dependency must be resolved first, then the services entry removed.

satrow: I have submitted a request to the Sysinternals folks to determine what autoruns does when it disables a driver in the fashion you pointed out. No response yet. However, I suspect it will be much the same as I have already observed...one must deal with the dependency between iaStorV.sys and achernar.sys before the unwanted driver can be removed.

Your feedback is all appreciated.