5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A complete Windows repair kit in your pocket

BEST PRACTICES

A complete Windows repair kit in your pocket

By Lincoln Spector

There's no shortage of Windows-based portable tools for repairing, cleaning, checking the OS. But when Windows is really unhealthy, the solution might be to use portable, Linux-based tools on a bootable flash drive.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/best-practices/a-complete-windows-repair-kit-in-your-pocket/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Very good story, but I have yet to find a Linux distro that can recognize my Nvidia RAID 0 array as a single logical disk.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Hiren't Boot CD quite often but not sure the legalities of such a tool but I don't profit from helping myself, neighbors and friends. Won't provide a link due to possible legal issues, but an IXQuick search should help you out.

https://www.ixquick.com/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not a Linux person but I am the 'Help Desk' for family and friends Windows problems.
    I got Lincoln's Widows Repair Kit up and running on a USB stick fairly easily. The problem is my Microsoft USB keyboard doesn't work - can't type anything. My Logitech wireless mouse had no problems except the close box etc in the top RH corner of the windows don't respond. Can cut and paste OK, open files and programs
    I found some suggestions saying to use a PS2 keyboard but that to me is not a fix. Is this keyboard and mouse behavior normal with Linux (surely not) or is there some settings I can change?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use the Hiren't Boot CD on a USB stick - it is set up in exactly the same way as you describe and includes the Parted Magic without having to pay $5 to download it.

I particularly like the mini-XP GUI environment that comes with it.

Ta

phil

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Since you mention being weary of the "Unstoppable Copier", just wanted to point out that the "unstoppable" refers to the fact that it will not be stopped by disk errors.
    The idea is it can clone a failing hard drive so that the copy can be used for data recovery. Most cloning software will fail after the first bad block, so in this case the "Unstoppable" part is a good thing! ...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried many linux solutions but I always run into a disk driver problem with them.
    I am using RAID, the chipset is Z77 and the RST driver version is Intel Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller version: 12.8.0.1016 date: 8/1/2013.

My disks 224GB SSD partitioned as 160 GB RAID 0 system drive and 64GB RAID 0 Cache
    2 1863GB disks setup as RAID 1
    2 149GB disks setup as RAID 0 and Accelerated using RST

Is there any linux solution?

rec