5 Star Lounger
    Seattle, WA

Solving Windows 7/8 networking slowdowns

Solving Windows 7/8 networking slowdowns

By Fred Langa

A few easy clicks might boost Windows 8's networking performance by as much as 12 percent. Plus: Three ways to speed up Android devices, formatting a 2TB drive with Windows 7, and the free Kingsoft Office suite.

The full text of this column is posted at (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2013-10-16 at 14:21.

New Lounger
    Waldorf, MD
    From your column:

Rooting — the process of wiping out the factory-installed version of Android and replacing it with a generic version — is somewhat extreme.
    You're talking about flashing, not rooting. Rooting merely means installing a superuser program to give you access to files that aren't normally available to Android users. My Android phone is rooted, and I am using the standard Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD OS. It isn't a generic version, I didn't wipe out the factory-installed version of Android, and I didn't replace it. The main reason I rooted my phone was to be able to use Titanium Backup, a program that requires root access.

Thanks for your columns, they're very informative.