Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Protect yourself from the next big data breach

TOP STORY

Protect yourself from the next big data breach

By Fred Langa

Huge online attacks, such as the recent Adobe break-in, bring to mind a pressing question: What should we do if our credit-card data or sign-in credentials are stolen? Plus, what steps will help minimize future exposures when large corporate sites are cracked — as they no doubt will be — by malicious hackers and cyber thieves?

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/protect-yourself-from-the-next-big-data-breach (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with Fred, RoboForm is an excellent choice, not just for the aspects Fred outlined, another worth a mention they also offer RoboForm2Go which you can load on any computer without leaving a trail. In other words you can Sync RoboForm data into your RoboForm2Go loaded on a USB stick, they offer sync program, found that can be tricky, they changed to annual subscriptions after version RoboForm (R) Version 6.10.2 which i paid life use money for, i've stuck with that version which wont install in later versions FireFox 3.6 which is a bit of a pain as hotmail (outllook.com) Yahoo and even Google gmail now complain about (FireFox 3.6) but if i update it i'd need to pay annual subscription for the otherwise excellent program RoboForm combined with RoboForm2Go program

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree, although I personally use KeePass.

Most of the sites currently use the e-mail address of the person as username. Therefore, it becomes difficult to really change one's username every time.
    I'd like to know Fred's recommendations to overcome this issue...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree that using different passwords for different sites is a way to go. Unfortunately Fred did not attempt to address the issue of reinstalling or moving the saved username/password pair between 1 computer and another one. How could I get my IE/FF/RoboForm data across is the reason why I don't password manager.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I find it interested that no-one has questioned, either here, in Fred's article or in the press generally, why Adobe were storing unencrypted passwords. If you only store the encrypted password, as Unix has done for over 40 years, loss of password data is of no consequence. To my mind Adobe have been grossly negligent in their handling of customer data even prior to losing it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BarrieA For This Useful Post:

TerFar (2013-10-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I to have been using RoboForm for many years but didn't like their 'Everywhere' annual subscription fees, so I have been using MS SkyDrive to store my RoboForm data files for my PC and laptop as a work around to RoboForm's $$$ plan.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Having been burned years ago by a 'secure' pass-word manager program, I developed an external method of keeping track of sign-ins and passwords. I use a simple 'Rolo-dex' card system with the web-site, user name, and password each on a separate card and in pencil for easier changes. In addition the password uses a 'date-time' generation method as part of the password. That way I can tell the age of the password and when it should be changed. The rolodex may be a little inconvenient but I feel more comfortable. Also I do not have to remember any passwords. The only drawback has arisen with mobility. For sites that I plan on visiting, I copy the info to an index card or mini-notebook. If I forget any then I'm out-of-luck. But I'm not all that 'mobile', so it isn't a big deal. I'm part of the Senior-Living group and have finally settled down. Thanks for everything.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by laman View Post
    I agree that using different passwords for different sites is a way to go. Unfortunately Fred did not attempt to address the issue of reinstalling or moving the saved username/password pair between 1 computer and another one. How could I get my IE/FF/RoboForm data across is the reason why I don't password manager.
    Exactly the same file containing all encrypted passwords has to be available and updated on all my computers and smartphones, 1 - how easily does every of the recommended programs do this? 2- Is it safe to use Google Drive for that aim. ?
    3 paying in dollars for software from Europe can only be done by credit-card, I don't like that. Here in Holland we have a much safer system : I-deal. But that system suppose that banks are willing to work together, unthinkable in US, I fear. It means that only free or european software is possible for me.
    Good article, I hope to hear more about it. Ferdinand

Lounger
    Thanks
    jyungton,

I also use Skydrive, but RoboForm does make it difficult to do that automatically due to the individual LICENSE.RFO files on each machine. Using a manual sync program such as SyncToy allows you to do excludes for individual files, but Skydrive is all or nothing. At least so far. It is easy to manually run the synchronization, and even schedule it, but I am still looking for a way to do this fully automatically. Have you done this, and if so, how?

Treg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BarrieA View Post
    I find it interested that no-one has questioned, either here, in Fred's article or in the press generally, why Adobe were storing unencrypted passwords. If you only store the encrypted password, as Unix has done for over 40 years, loss of password data is of no consequence. To my mind Adobe have been grossly negligent in their handling of customer data even prior to losing it.
    All the articles I read said the data was encrypted, both card details and passwords. Fortunately, I don't have an account with Adobe and have just replaced Reader with
    PDF-Xchange viewer (just in time it seems) as what's more worrying is the theft of Adobe source code.

Lounger
    Thanks
    One thing most people do not do is prioritize the needed security for a site. In the vast majority, you really don't care. I have about a dozen high security sites, such as brokerages, PayPal, medical, email, etc, with very long, complicated passwords. RoboForm is great for that. The rest, in the hundreds, literally use a username and password which I have been using since 1978. If they were to be compromised, except for annoyance, and perhaps a bit of embarrassment, it just wouldn't matter.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by laman View Post
    That function is built in to Roboform. It synchronizes changes across all devices, and when a new device is added, the initial install of Roboform grabs all the data stored and brings the new device on line, synchronized with all others.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have used Roboform for years, and am generally happy with it, although it does have one really annoying "feature" they don't seem to be interested in fixing. One question for the group -- does anyone know of an easy way to produce a listing of site name/username/password in clear text, so that I could use Excel to sort and analyze my 573 passwords? Roboform does provide a tool to generate an XML backup file, but all I know about XML is how to spell it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "..recognizes the specific site and automatically fills in the sign-in boxes with the correct username and password for that site."

And there's the rub.
    Kindly explain the 'ease' of managing separate accounts for your wife, kids, and others at oh, say -- an airline website.
    Or a bank. Or brokerage.

My 'rolodex' is a desktop text file -- if I'm suddenly incapacitated, the family has easy access to the latest revisions, and knows how to use them.
    /.
    Last edited by CaveatEmpty; 2013-10-17 at 07:09.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting article, and timely too. I have been an advocate for the Norton suite of products for years. That is until recently as I learned that Symantec has dropped the ability for you to store your logins and other information (credit cards and personal information) in their "Identity Safe" vault locally. Now, if you want to use this particular feature, it all goes to their cloud servers and is no longer stored locally on your own system. While they claim that this is for the consumers convenience so that a customer can access their information from any computer they use that has access to Norton's tools, I find this to be a disturbing trend for a company that is supposed to be in the business of keeping your data safe. A recent article on "the guardian" website states that the NSA (US) and GCHQ (UK) have been in "... collaboration with technology companies and internet service providers themselves.

Through these covert partnerships, the agencies have inserted secret vulnerabilities – known as backdoors or trapdoors – into commercial encryption software."

Scary thought, huh?
    ref: http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...codes-security

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast