3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Haunted XP Notebook boots itself

My wife uses an HP Mini110 notebook, XP Home, SP3, fully updated. From time to time we find that the thing has booted itself up. Naturally I suspected that she wasn't shutting it down properly, but then a couple of days ago she forgot to shut down and I did it for her. Logged out of Gmail, closed all windows, start button, shut down, ta-dah music, shut down. Next morning it was running with the desktop showing. There are no fancy settings, no wake on LAN, all she does is e-mail and make Skype calls. Haunted? Anyone got a better suggestion?

David

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Wake on LAN would be my first suspect. Does it have a network cable connection?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion. Yes it does have network connection, but to the best of my knowledge Wake on LAN is not enabled, or maybe it would be more accurate to say I cannot see Wake on LAN as being an option in the Power Options.

David

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Try one thing, next time you shut it down - remove the network cable. If the computer stays off, you will have found your culprit.

To check whether the network adapter can wake the computer, check your network adapter, in Device Manager. Right click the adapter, choose Properties -> Power Settings.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    David,

Make sure you check your BIOS for possible settings e.g.:
    BIOS2.jpg
    BIOS1.jpg
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just had a chance to look at the BIOS, by American Mega Trends. Well Basic sums it up. There is almost nothing that can be set, except the Date/Time. There is no power management tab at all.

I shut it down last night, and booted it this morning. As soon as I pressed the power button it looked as though Windows was waking from Hibernation, black screen with progress bar running across the bottom. But here's the novel twist, when the bar reached to end instead of Windows starting I got a pop-up saying Windows is shutting down. And it did. After that it booted normally. "Oh yes," said my wife when I told her, "it often does that. Isn't it suppposed to?"

Maybe my first thought about the supernatural wasn't so far off the mark.

David
    Last edited by Rhinoceros; 2013-10-18 at 13:38. Reason: Made a mistake