Thread: Mystery Folders

Thanks

Question Mystery Folders

My XP Pro SP3 desktop machine's hard drive is partitioned into 3 partitions:
    XP Pro (C) 60GB -boot
    Data (D) 345GB -my documents folder remapped to this one
    Extra (E) 60GB - currently only has the page file remapped to it (was reserved for a multi-boot install)

My Data (D) partition has a folder named 146b5b1ecf412c6040c9c5c77a with 2 subfolders:
    support & update which right-click properties shows are both 0 bytes. If I try to open either folder
    I get the Access denied warning shown in the attached screen shot.

I suspect these mystery folders were either the result of a failed Windows Update or left over from
    quite a while ago when I had the Win8 Pre-release Consumer Preview installed in multi-boot and
    subsequently uninstalled.

If I delete these folders in Safe Mode or by booting with a Linux Live CD, am I likely to "Screw the Pooch"?

I plan to clean install Win7 before April, reformatting the drive and setting up the same type of partition scheme,
    dumping XP and reserving the third partition for a future Win8 install. I back up my data and Thunderbird
    e-mail profiles and image my drives with Macrium on a regular basis, I'm just not keen on abandoning XP
    before April or restoring an image if something goes sideways by deleting the mystery folders.

Your thoughts please?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy Computing,

Rich

Thanks
    Do a backup and delete 'em.

Thanks
    Or just rem