Lounger
    Thanks

External usb hard drive shows as device, not as a drive

My son had a virus on his Toshiba Sattelite laptop and ended up taking it to geek squad. They reloaded the operating system. He has a Seagate external HDD that he felt had some files still on it. I vounteered to help him load programs and try to recover those files. Plugged in the Seagate goflex HDD and looked in "computer" and it didn't show there. Looked in devices and printers and it showed in there. I decided that I needed to load the Seagate software from their website and did so. In the process a box popped up giving me the choice of formatting the drive or cancel the operation. I formatted the drive, finished the software install, and now the HDD showed as a drive. Am wondering if there was any other way I could handle this in the future without losing the contents of the HDD?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure about the innards of the Seagate software but here are two recommendations for the future.
    1. Try cancelling the operation. Maybe the driver will be installed anyway?
    2. If the driver is not installed, try connecting the GoFlex to another computer. You should be able to make a temporary copy of its data onto that computer's local disk before performing the required format.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your thoughtful reply Riffraff. I did try the Seagate HDD on another computer and it showed the same way.

Thanks
    10 to 1, that the problem was all in the drive to USB interface, in the external drive.

I would have opened up that external drive, taken out the actual hard drive and connected it to my main PC, directly to the motherboard, to recover the files.
    I've actually done that many times and it works. It's inconvenient as heck, but no data was ever lost in the process.

Good Luck in the future!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

Jersey Ernie (2013-10-21)