New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy ISP's Router behind my wifi router

okay so as the title says, my isp is 'IDEA WiFi' who has wifi access points in the city and they catch those access points using their own wifi routers, one of which is fixed in my apartment building's rooftop. A cable then runs from that router to my router, thus connecting me to internet. Now my problem is, i play games on my laptop using GameRanger which uses UDP port 16000. It is giving me error that this udp port is blocked, so i cant join any game room. I checked if the port was open or not, and found it was blocked. I did port forwarding and all in my Cisco router but nothing happened. So i posted in their forums about my problem and they said that my isp's router's firewall is behind this. I called my ISP customer Care and to my surprise, they dont even know whats a UDP port!
    now i wanna know if i can access their router from my end and do the forwarding manually.. that would be great!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes you can do if you have the access to ISP Modem/router. Connect your PC directly to the ISP modem and access the web based setup page by checking the default gate way while doing ipconfig in command prompt. You must know the username and password (usually it is admin).
    Last edited by colex; 2014-02-24 at 10:05.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    okay so what u are saying is i should go to my roof and connect that modem with my laptop directly??

also, my connection is a PPPoE connection.. my own cisco router dials the connection from my end.. i have attached a screenshot of the ipconfig, but its not showing any default gateway !

Untitled.jpg
    Last edited by ashujamwal96; 2013-10-18 at 06:57.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The IP address and subnet mask in the result of your ipconfig probe shows an APIPA address. This means several things:

You have no DHCP server running on your router, but you quite possibly have DHCP configured on your PC. Unless you have a very odd configuration in your router, you won't be able to route to the internet with that configuration. An APIPA address is automatically generated by Windows to enable Link Local TCP/IP connections when an IP address is not set by either a static IP or a DHCP server.

Therefore, it's probable something is not right in the config of your PC or maybe your Cisco router.

Lastly, I would not recommend hacking the ISP router on your roof to open the UDP ports required. That's is going to introduce a big security risk for all the other users of that equipment, quite apart from being illegal in many countries.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993