Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My Win 8.1 Install

Pretty painless upgrade with a lot of reboots and a couple of "taking care of a few things" messages, one of those things was removing AVAST from my laptop. Super Anti Spyware and MBAM don't seem to have issues tho'. Secunia PSI desktop icon disappeared but I fixed that.

My bad for not knowing AVAST was an issue, but it apparently is. So, I started up Windows Defender for some protection, but I don't know if it's working properly. The files are scanning like mad, but there's no progress being shown on the green progress bar. Doesn't bode well. I'll have so find another a/v in the meantime.

The OS is pretty snappy compared to 8.0, but until I get a/v squared away, I won't have real chance to play with it.

Diane

Thanks
    You could use AVG AV 2013 until Avast is updated. You might like it well enough that you will keep it. My AVG just kept flying after the upgrade without a hiccup.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    The only hiccup I had with AVG is that it required a reboot immediately after the Win 8.1 install completed. It appears to be working fine.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello. I wish that I could also say "No problem". But .1 would not install here. I have W-8 Pro along with Media Center.
    The D/L was fine, methinks; it started to install, got to 72%, Gathering info and stopped with an error : 0x0000135.
    I went to another site and clicked on it again, it picked up from the 50% point, got to the same Gathering info at 72% and gave me the same error.
    Should I wait for a quiet moment on the server ? I just ran a scandisk this morning ! Computors are fun. Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Hello. I wish that I could also say "No problem". But .1 would not install here. I have W-8 Pro along with Media Center.
    The D/L was fine, methinks; it started to install, got to 72%, Gathering info and stopped with an error : 0x0000135.
    I went to another site and clicked on it again, it picked up from the 50% point, got to the same Gathering info at 72% and gave me the same error.
    Should I wait for a quiet moment on the server ? I just ran a scandisk this morning ! Computors are fun. Jean.
    Error 0x0000135 is usually caused by corrupted ssystem files or the registry. Have you been using CCleaner's registry cleaner or any other registry cleaner by any chance? You could also try running SFC /scannow from an elevated command prompt.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Jerry. You had me work here looking again for this Elevated prompt, found it. Getting late, I will try again 2-moro.
    I did mention that I had done a scan disk already. Is this scannow different ? Sleep tight. Jean.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I will give AVG a try. I used it with XP some years ago.

Windows Defender did finish w/o a problem although it's initial behavior on my machine made me a bit wary. Everything else on my laptop is functioning normally and I didn't lose anything except the icon for PSI that I put back.

Diane

Thanks
    Yes Jean, sfc is different from scan disk. Just open the Elevated Command Prompt (easiest to just use Win +X then select the appropriate command) then type sfc /scannow.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Ted. Yes, I started this last evening but felt the need for sleep, I aborted the process and will initiate it again after this post. Thanks for continued support, moral and technical. Thanks to Jerry too. Jean.

SFC.jpg

This is what I get. I will try again to install .1.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2013-10-18 at 10:21.

Thanks
    Don't know what could be happening then. Both our installations were fine. Actually much better than anticipated. The only installs I had to do were on my wife's PC. Had to reinstall Classic Shell and LastPass (for some reason. LastPass was fine on my PC). Both PCs had to reboot to allow AVG to operate properly, but otherwise clear sailing so far!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    See this thread for a possible answer.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, great minds always think alike ! You were right, I needed 63 updates to this new W-8 made by a Refresh. After the 63 + 2 Optionals were done, I was able to see W-8.1 in Store. I have not gone that route yet, today is the day.

My opening line about the great minds is because I did a Refresh all by myself. ( bragging ! )

The Refresh was done as no CHKDSK or what else, like /R, would get past the 22% in their routine. I had a PROBLEM. We will never know what it was. Now I hope that the upgrade to .1 will carry out. Further this PM. A nice day to you. Jean.

Thanks
    I would try Chkdsk /R again to make sure you don't have a physical hard disk issue. If you can't finish, you have a disk hardware problem.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry and Ted, hello.

I am sure now that we have met with success, the EULA is up on the screen. Later.

Hey ! hey ! I am on the .1 machine now. Do not anybody say that I do not deserve this, I must have spent ni-on 5 hours, first getting rid of a bug in the W-8 machine, that prevented the install, no CHKDSK would get rid of it.

.1 has also kept all my icons on the taskbar, great. I have to see if they all work still, remember, I use Office 2000 still.

All in all, a learning experience still and again and again. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2013-10-19 at 12:59.

Thanks
    Glad you got it running Jean.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast