Thread: Word 2010

New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2010

How do you fix the automatic paragraph numbering (using Styles) when ... fox example:

(a) (1) [written text here]

(2) [more written text here]

(b) [written text here]

How do I make the (a) & (b) above automatic paragraph numbering AND how can I do the same for (1) and (2) above. These are paragraphs within a document that I am currently working on.

HELP!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can do this with a multilevel list and extra ListNum fields. But the method is only semiautomatic.

Apply the built-in multilevel list 1), a) i). Immediately go back into the multilevel list dialog and choose Define new multilevel list. In the dialog, change the number style and formatting to your liking. The built-in list has the correct restarts and default indents, so you may only have to change those two things--for each level.

In the text, on the same line as (1), click Insert tab > Quick Parts > Field > ListNum. For field properties, leave List Name at (none). For field options, check the box before level in the list, and type "2" in the following input box. OK out of the dialog. You should see "(1)" right after the "(a)". You can save this field as auto text for insertion after other number level 1s.

Use the indent icons on the Home tab to adjust the list levels.

If you are using this list in a document with autonumbered headings, consider naming the ListNum field for your paragraph numbering list and creating list styles (not to be confused with paragraph styes called List Style, List Style 2, etc.).
    Last edited by PamCaswell; 2013-10-18 at 00:25.
    Pam Caswell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    High light your text that you want to fix and click the multilevel list under home menu.
    Then select which list of style you want or you can create new list according on your desire list.
    Simply click "new define list" under mulitilevel list.

Thanks
    I strongly suggest that if you want your numbering to work easily and survive editing that you tie it to Styles using all of the steps in this page by Shauna Kelly.

The following page on my website has more links and information but it does not have the good step-by-step instructions that the first link will give you. Numbering in Word
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I agree, the better way is to link each number level to a paragraph style. Whether you start from scratch or customize a built-in list doesn't matter in terms of how Word sees the result. But customizing (actually, defining a new list) saves time and prevents errors. Shauna's instructions for W2003 do say to "choose a pre-set numbering option that is similar to what you want." and then "click Customize." I don't know why she left that idea out of the instructions for 2007-13. After all, settings such as the restart after and the include level number from are already there and correct. Mistakes in those areas account for most of the problems with outline/multilevel lists.

AFIK, if you want different number levels on the same line, you have to use the ListNum field too as I described.
    Pam Caswell

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PamCaswell For This Useful Post:

Charles Kenyon (2013-10-20)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thank you all