New Lounger
    Thanks

How bad are hard drive bad sectors?

I have a Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 hard drive 2 Tb Windows 7
    2 weeks ago, while running an Acronis backup, it gave me a bad sector message, would not complete backup.
    Ran chkdsk
    Ran Acronis backup again, still bad sectors
    Checked SMART status: healthy
    Found disk manufacturer tool HGST DFT for Windows, and all OK except for advanced surface test : FAIL

Ran Acronis backup again, and with bad sector message, clicked skip, it found another, clicked skip and then backup finished and validated.

With regard to my hard drive health, is this more like
    A. ignoring chest pain -- could die quickly OR
    B. ignoring high blood pressure -- will take a long time to do damage, likely with other warning signs

Am I correct in my understanding that Windows will ignore these bad sectors so I don't need to worry about new data being written there?

Is there a way to isolate these bad sectors so I can get Acronis to ignore them automatically so I don't have to sit and monitor backup?

I really don't want to have to replace this hard drive.

Many thanks!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Bad sector reports should never occur with modern hard disks - they are self healing. You may have a disk controller or memory problem, or the disk is on it's way out. Check the cables connecting the disk, including power and run some more strenuous tests.

Do you have another disk you can use for a backup to test?

cheers, Paul

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sheltieMom View Post
    I have a Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 hard drive 2 Tb Windows 7
    2 weeks ago, while running an Acronis backup, it gave me a bad sector message, would not complete backup.
    Ran chkdsk
    sheltieMom,

Hello.... I would proceed as follows

1. I would run the "Check Disk" ( from elevated Command Prompt) using the "R" switch...See screen shot

2. I would also download and install hdsentinel It's a trial but will find "Whats Sup" with your HD ...and well worth the price if you want to purchase.. ( go with the "PRO" Version).. It keeps a real time check on your HD's health... Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I had 2 disks that had bad firmware that caused data errors. The usual tests showed the disks to be OK, but they wouldn't perform in the real world. Upgrading the firmware fixed the problem.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Gibson Research's "Spinrite" <https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm> might be able to fix the bad sectors. It's not freeware but I found it worth every penny, both way back when it first came out and again when I upgraded to version 6. Be forewarned: the bigger the hard drive the longer it takes to run--we're talking hours and hours (if not days and days for 1T+ drives) for it to do it's magic.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have problems reading files that were backed up to a 2 tb disk (crc errors)
    It's been running for over 3 weeks on Spinrite and has approx. 7 weeks (estimated) remaining. While I have used Spinrite successfully many times, I'll have to get back to you at Xmas to let you know how successful it was with this large a drive.

UPDATE: Well, the estimate of time was fairly accurate, it was off by only two days. But, when it finished, nothing was on the drive anymore, and it was now two partitions. One was 365 MB and the rest of the 1.7 TB space was UNpartitioned. I just chucked the now thoroughly unreliable drive and moved on.
    Last edited by Bluechips; 2014-01-02 at 19:34. Reason: Update