Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 Laptop won't find Backup destination drive

The Problem: When I start Windows 7 backup it only finds the DVD drive as a possible destination to choose from. I want to save to an external hard drive which is accessible to the computer but not to the backup program. This has been true from the day I purchased the computer, not due to any updates or other software changes.

The setup:
    -My Win7 laptop is connected to a Netgear router which is connected via ethernet cable to a Linksys router configured as a switch and WiFi access point. Everything about the network works perfectly, speedily, realiably and as intended.
    -My XP3 desktop is connected to the Linksys router/switch via ethernet cable. I have a Seagate 1 tb drive attached via USB to the desktop PC. (The Linksys does not have provision for network attached storage).
    -The 1 tb drive is accessible via the desktop to my laptop. From my laptop I have full control over the XP desktop's files and folders including it's external drives using Windows Explorer and Xplorer2 lite.
    -I have been using Freefilesync to backup my personal data files to the 1 tb drive (which, again, is a USB attached external drive to the Desktop PC). It works perfectly whether the laptop is connected via WiFi or ethernet.

The Bottom line: Does anyone know why the Win7 backup program on my laptop will NOT see that 1 tb external drive as a viable backup location?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you are not running Windows 7 Ultimate, you won't be able to backup to a non local drive. Why don't you attach the drive to the laptop?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

wiiiindy (2013-10-18)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Leave it to Microsoft. That is exactly what I will do but it is stupid restriction. do they really think anyone will pay for Ultimate just to backup to a non-local drive? Dumb.

Thanks for the info.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wiiiindy View Post
    Leave it to Microsoft. That is exactly what I will do but it is stupid restriction. do they really think anyone will pay for Ultimate just to backup to a non-local drive? Dumb.

Thanks for the info.
    There are some other differences between Ultimate and the others, some related to networking, but it wasn't such a smart model and I guess that's why there are only two Windows 8 versions.

Another option for you, would be to use something like Macrium Reflect Free. Although I don't use it, some Lounge members do and like it and it can backup to networked drives.
    Rui
    -------
    R4