New Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrade to 8.1 killed the store and no refresh media

Hi,
    I updated my dual boot desktop, Win 7 plus Win 8, to Win 7 with Win 8.1. First problem was the Store wouldn't open, It was working on Win 8 as that is where I got the upgrade. Well it opens but immediately returns to the start screen. I spent a full day Googling and trying all the suggestions I could find to no avail. I could not even get into the store from the browser.
    I then thought I would do a refresh. Next problem - to do a refresh it asks me to insert media, Microsoft in their wisdom is not giving ISO files for the upgrade. I have my original Win 8 DVD but is this going to put me back to Win 8?
    So what can I do? No Store and no Win 8.1 DVD.
    barberic.

Thanks
    I am familiar with your pain, I've had to revert back to Windows 8.
    Luckily I had made three images; a before shot, an immediate after, and then once again after some configuration tweaks.
    Somewhere in the last image I got screwed up. IE11 also (to me at least) seems really buggy.

I definitely don't like not having an ISO of 8.1. I like to be in control of the software.

Solution: Revert back to 8 and wait for an ISO to come out. I'm confidant someone somehow will manage it. (inevitable imo)
    It also helps to deploy an image based solution similar to the above, so that you can go back & forth to troubleshoot.

After all is said and done there will always be a few who will need a clean install.
    Upgrades are unlikely to be effective 100% of the time given all the variables in peoples systems.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-10-18 at 20:07.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Clint, you've confirmed what I was thinking was the only way out.
    I do have a Win 8 image to revert to luckily as I did a backup "just in case".

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Solved.
    I created a new user account in Win 8.1 and a new Microsoft account and the Store now works. I don't know which one fixed it so I will do a bit more testing.
    I have yet to figure out how to transfer my old settings and stuff to the new account.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I suspect this may be my problem with the whole Start screen side of things. I'm using a local account and stuck to the local account during setup and some live tiles are working but pretty much nothing else. Desktop side seems to be working fine now after some program updating but reboot times are excessive, 20, 11, and 14 minutes last three times.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe