New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8.1 upgrade - one or two minor problems

Currently running Windows 8.0 Pro as a VM under OpenSuse 12.3 using VMWare Player v6 (matches VMware workstation v10)
    Upgrading to Win 8.1 Pro via the download.

1) Be aware that regular users cannot download an ISO - you have to connect each machine to the download site individually.
    (Microsoft what are you thinking? That's a really good way to cause a lot of frustration to SMO's with several machines!)

2) Don't forget to use an admin ID to update your machine. Don't use a password with special characters (see 4 below)

3) It takes quite a while (an hour or two) and its percentage done keeps resetting to 0% - but it (usually) gets there eventually.

4) After you have accepted the licence it asks for your user name and password to confirm the update
    Be aware that this screen assumes you have US keyboard. "~$' signs etc may be somewhere different !!!

5) The next step tries to make you sign up for a Microsoft Account
    This may be OK with you but if you don't want one select Create a new account and then select Use an existing account
    You CAN get through without signing up for an M/S a/c

6) If you are using Classic Shell to avoid the 'Metro' interface
    you will need to re-install it (on top of the old installation)

7) if you are using VMware you may find that your Shared Storage folders are unavailable.
    To fix this completely uninstall VMware Tools and then re-install.

8) Sit back and enjoy !!

Thanks
    Thanks, every bit helps.
    #1 & 5 are serious points of contention for many.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    On #5, inserting a bad password for an existing account allows the installation to proceed.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    As Clint mentions, not having an ISO file download is a no go for some. The Upgrade worked for me. Yea, I know I'm always extolling upon the virtues of a Clean Install, but I knew my Win 8 was as pristine as I could get it (I always do a major cleanup and defrag before I create an Image, and I created a new Image of my final Win 8) so I went the Upgrade route, especially since the ISO file is not yet available to allow a Custom install from a valid Win 8 install to a Win 8.1 OS. (Yea, I know the ISO is available if you have purchased a key for Win 8.1 and are presently running Win 7 or Win 8.1 preview edition)

In my case with our 2 PCs, the Upgrade worked quite well, who would of thought! A lot of people are having problems with the Upgrade and I suspect these people, Clint included (I feel your pain my friend), will have to wait until a valid ISO file download for Win 8.1 is available.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I seemed to have gotten my mess sorted out, for now. I'm currently up and running on 8.1.
    The upgrade itself wasn't too bad at all. I think it was the tinkering I did afterward that was the detriment.
    I'm glad I took the time to create an image almost immediately after the upgrade. (This is the one that saved me)
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I created an Image on both our PCs immediately after the upgrade and whatever customization I needed were completed. Anyone that does not do so, especially if they like to tinker, are asking for trouble.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy