New Lounger
    Thanks

New (replacement) H/W problem with already established drive C:

To begin with, sitting on my lounge-room floor, I have all the components to build a brand-new Haswell PC system using Windows 8/8.1. I need to say that so that readers don't respond to my question below by saying to simply build a new system. I'm already about to do that.

However, I also need to retain my old XP system for some time yet. I have some mission-critical H/W and S/W that I need to keep and I'm not at all worried about MS stopping XP support in 2014. The problem with that is that my current mobo has an intermittent fault and cannot be fully trusted. I have also purchased new H/W to replace that, notably, an ASUS P8Z77-V LK motherboard and an Intel i5-3470 cpu plus appropriate RAM.

In the past, when I have built my own PCs, this is what happened: I assembled the H/W and then loaded a version of Windows onto the empty hard drive. The computer then booted well and took me into a Windows system with no proper drivers. I was then able to load the drivers disk into the CD drive and install the proper drives. Happy ever after! I've done this numerous times.

That's what I expected to be able to do with my XP replacement new mobo, cpu and RAM. After assembly, the H/W booted well and I explored the new ASUS UEFI BIOS before proceeding. It was all excellent and I naturally felt very pleased with myself and wanted to proceed to boot through to my current, fully installed and much-used Windows XP hard drive. I would then be able to install the proper drivers for the new mobo.

Nope! A blue screen of death informing me that I had wrong drivers! Well, duh! Of course I have - let me install the new ones! I tried this a number of times as well as checking my H/W installation several times over. The H/W build seems perfect. I don't know what to do next. How can I install the new drivers if I have no booted Windows? Anyone? I might add that I stripped all cards/devices out so that all I had left was my original drive C:.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Do your apps rely on hardware access? If not, virtualization may be an option. You could try using Hyper-V in windows 8, to create a VM running XP and install the apps there.

Another option would also rely on virtualization, albeit in a indirect way. Some imaging apps are said to be able to restore windows to different hardware. This I believe is the case with EaseUS Todo Backup: http://www.todo-backup.com/backup-re...r-hardware.htm
    You could image your current disk and then try to restore it to the new machine, using this restore to dissimilar hardware option. Seems a bit contrived, I know ...
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I have already read up about using Windows 8 Hyper-V or VM-Ware. That will likely be my 3rd option. My first option is to not have to do that yet. My second option will likely be, as you have suggested, to restore an image but I'm suspecting that will just put me back where I am right now. I will try the imaging, I think. Also, from what I've read so far, a virtual drive can use the H/W that is in the machine. Thanks again for your suggestions.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

When installing from the XP disk if choose custom install there should be an option to show the drive you wish to install XP and below an option to install drivers. if you use the install drivers option then point to where the drivers are (CD or Mem stick) navigate to the correct driver folders and press enter.
    Once done then proceed to install XP.

I cannot confirm this will work as I do not have an XP disk to install from.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Porter View Post
    Nope! A blue screen of death informing me that I had wrong drivers! Well, duh! Of course I have - let me install the new ones! I tried this a number of times as well as checking my H/W installation several times over. The H/W build seems perfect. I don't know what to do next. How can I install the new drivers if I have no booted Windows? Anyone? I might add that I stripped all cards/devices out so that all I had left was my original drive C:.
    Neil,

Hello... I have done this with a ASUS Mobo (990FX) and XP.. I had similar problems with blue screens as well ..There were several problems that i had .

1. XP had IDE drivers and my disks were SATA .. The choice was either to Slipstream the SATA drivers using "nlite" (then using the disk for the install) or setting the BIOS for IDE.(After booting you then could install the SATA drivers..then switch the BIOS Back at boot time) There is an ( i believe ) a F6 option if you have the XP disk ..but you will need a "Floppy drive"

2. I had another option ..Made an Image of the XP install and used Macrium Pro to install the drivers using the recover image to different hardware feature ( called Re-Deploy)... With it you can point Macrium to a CD\DVD or flash drive that contains the appropriate drivers.

3. One other thing make sure that the ASUS intel i5 combo will work with the board ...with my ASUS i could only use the AMD CPU's ( for XP) Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-10-19 at 06:34.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Clive but the disk I want to use is an already-fully-installed drive C: that I 've been using for years and want to continue using. i.e. I have not intended using an XP install disk for this operation.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Fred. I have not heard of Macirum Pro but that does seem like a solution that I was looking for. I can assure you that, prior to purchasing, I certainly made sure that the ASUS board and the i5 cpu were compatible and also that they could be used with XP. I will Google the Macrium and go from there.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I will Google the Macrium and go from there.
    Neil,

Hello.. I had another thought ...

1. Did the ASUS board come with a disk ? If so, the necessary drivers will be on it (SATA AHCI) ...You can also go to the ASUS website and download them from there.

2. Does the BIOS have the ability to switch from SATA to IDE ? My ASUS does.. You could then try that as outlined in my post #1 Regards Fred

PS: Macrium Reflect Comparison Chart You would need the "PRO" Version

PPS: With Macrium Reflect you can switch the license Key from one OS to another, or run it from a boot Recovery Disk
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-10-20 at 06:46.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred. The ASUS board did come with a disk of its own drivers. However, as usual, the instructions depend on a version of Windows already having been booted and then you run the drivers from the ASUS disk. It would have been nice if it had been a bootable disk that could install the drivers to the already-established drive C: disk. It's getting late here now and I am intending to look at the Macrium later. I have actually started looking and I came across an article comparing Macrium with Acronis TrueImage, which I already own. As with most programs, I only know a fraction of what Acronis does and will check deeper to see if it will load the drivers as you have suggested the Macrium will do. One step at a time is always the way, no matter how frustrating.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Hi Fred. The ASUS board did come with a disk of its own drivers. However, as usual, the instructions depend on a version of Windows already having been booted and then you run the drivers from the ASUS disk. It would have been nice if it had been a bootable disk that could install the drivers to the already-established drive C: disk. It's getting late here now and I am intending to look at the Macrium later. I have actually started looking and I came across an article comparing Macrium with Acronis TrueImage, which I already own. As with most programs, I only know a fraction of what Acronis does and will check deeper to see if it will load the drivers as you have suggested the Macrium will do. One step at a time is always the way, no matter how frustrating.
    To restore to different hardware, Acronis requires a paid add-on. My experience with it varies - I was never able to restore a XP image to a virtual machine using the add-on and I was able to boot to different hardware (mobo and cpu replaced) without it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Thanks, Clive but the disk I want to use is an already-fully-installed drive C: that I 've been using for years and want to continue using. i.e. I have not intended using an XP install disk for this operation.
    I was suggesting only going as far as installing the drivers from the option you don't need to continue to install the OS or format once the drivers install
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    You're using a HDD on which a working XP installation, apps, etc. exists with a motherboard that is significantly different from the motherboard that went bad. The new motherboard is UEFI/GPT capable.

Is the new motherboard BIOS/MBR capable? XP does not support UEFI/GPT. This is not a drivers issue; XP simply does not support UEFI. Your motherboard must support BIOS/MBR in order for the XP installation to boot. Look for that functionality in the BIOS/UEFI setup screen prior to booting from the HDD. It may be called Legacy mode (if the motherboard supports it).
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I built an Ivy bridge z77 V Pro box a while back and tried to install XP from a full retail disk . Don't remember all the details, but it was painful and appeared to require some sort of secret voodoo USB-stick-driver-install routine that I couldn't get to work. I gave up and went with Win7. Not to be a smart aleck, but why not just buy a cheap used XP box with a good mobo?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    According to Microsoft, the best choice is to do a repair install or put the hard drive back in the old motherboard, initiate an upgrade and then swap motherboards when the computer restarts - at the end of the day the two options boil down to more or less the same thing. Note that they also say that it's against the terms of the license to replace the motherboard for an OEM license.

There may be other ways to accomplish the same but it's bound to be fiddly - search around online for how to manually replace/re-install the HAL and core CPU drivers.