Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, I followed your advice and then put the card back in and the same things were back in device manager under "other" (PCIInput device and the Multimedia Audio Controller).
    So then I stuck the old original disk in and killed the autorun and went to win explorer to look at what all was on the disk. I opened the Audio folder and found a folder for drivers, here is a screenshot: SB install.JPG I clicked on CTZAPXX.exe and it started to update the driver and said to reboot (I had to leave the disc in for the reboot). When it rebooted there was sound!!! I then went to AudioHQ and installed that (EAX that you can change the sounds in) but that doesn't seem to work. Oh well I have sound from it and I'll see if anything else from it will work.
    I think the whole problem stems from the obsolete gameport because when I went back to Device Manager, it showed the SoundBlaster driver was installed BUT under "other" I have a new designation, here is a screenshot of that:
    Dev manager SB instlld.JPG The "unknown device" is the gameport and when I try to update the drivers it says that the drivers are from win 95 and can't be installed.
    Anyway, if anyone runs into this from a SoundBlaster 5.1 Live model 0220 card on win 7, maybe this will show up in the search.
    Next I have to try to figure out why the RAID controller installed fine but it says it can't start. Any ideas ?
    Or should I start a new thread? BTW, thanks for the directions to try and trace things down.
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2013-10-21 at 20:20. Reason: asked about new thread

Thanks
    I'm glad you had a measure of success, anyway.

For the RAID driver, is your BIOS set for IDE/ATA or AHCI?
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2013-10-22)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here are pics of the BIOS:
    BIOS 1.JPG BIOS 2.JPG BIOS 3.JPG

When I boot, it finds the drive and the windows logo comes up but then stops and say's that windows can't load normally and then a window comes up where I could load drivers for the disk or use a system image. I'm assuming that the controller that I installed ( which say's it can't start in Dev. Manager) is what it's looking for and can't find.

Thanks
    I'm concerned about something that is in your screenshot from post #16:

Storage controllers
    -- Win2000 Promise FastTrak 378 (tm) Controller

It has a yellow triangle.

This may be the source of some of your issues, because it indicates a problem with your RAID controller.

I found helpful information at the following two sites:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/26...indows-driver#.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/26...pata-sata-raid

In short, it appears that there is no Windows 7 driver for your RAID controller, but you may be able to use the Vista driver.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You are correct on the yellow triangle, when I click on property's, it say's that it cannot start (see post #7). I didn't see a Promise controller for Vista, the one I installed was from the ASUS p4C800 Deluxe site and it was for up to win 2003.
    As you said, there evidently is no driver for win 7 so if I can't find something that will work, I will have to continue using the IDE 1 cable for master and slave and I will lose the function of my backup drive in the removable bay.
    I will check out the links a little further but I didn't notice anything about a vista driver.
    Thanks
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2013-10-22 at 11:54.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I'm concerned about something that is in your screenshot from post #16:

Storage controllers
    -- Win2000 Promise FastTrak 378 (tm) Controller

It has a yellow triangle.

This may be the source of some of your issues, because it indicates a problem with your RAID controller.

I found helpful information at the following two sites:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/26...indows-driver#.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/26...pata-sata-raid

In short, it appears that there is no Windows 7 driver for your RAID controller, but you may be able to use the Vista driver.
    There was one link in the 2nd tom's hardware link that said there were newer Promise drivers that worked for him but evidently they have removed them from the french site that they used to be at.
    The only suggestion from the 1st Tom's Hardware link is getting a newer Promise controller PCI card for Vista. I don't want to spend the money if it doesn't work.
    Looks like I am stuck, I guess I should have just stayed with XP which worked fine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12