Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Post Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)

I have read and heard that Microsoft appear to be cutting back on this programme or is it a rumour put about by other protection programmes ? I'm using Windows 7 Home and Student I have MSE installed and don't appear to have any prob's I also have Windows Defender installed which is a problem. When I click on it in Control Panel it shows a message "Programme is switched off Click here to switch on" the little hourglass bobs up and ot times out without anything happening, what have I done wrong?
    Banj.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Windows Defender is automatically switched off when MSE is installed. That is the way it is supposed to be, so that is not a problem.

Microsoft (a spokesperson for MS) has said that Windows Defender is considered a baseline AV/AM.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Banjo1 (2013-10-21)

Thanks
    To go further, Windows Defender should be disabled automatically when ANY other AV app is installed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Banjo1 (2013-10-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So, is it considered I should install a different Anti-Spyware- Malware programme and uninstall MSE or is Microsoft continuing to support MSE ? Banj

Thanks
    I believe MS is still supporting MSE. Many people are using MSE very securely. Since PC security should be a multi-layered approach, I would also consider another Anti-malware app as well. MalwareBytes is one that is highly touted here. The free version does just manual scans, the Pro version runs in real time in the background and plays well with other AV apps.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-10-21 at 16:16.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Banjo1 (2013-10-22)

Thanks
    Microsoft is continuing to support both MSE and Windows Defender with daily (and sometimes twice daily) signature updates. I use MSE in Windows 7 and Windows Defender in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. My DSL modem has a hardware firewall, and my ISP doesn't allow web hosting from a residential account, and blocks unsolicited incoming traffic. I've configured the modem's firewall to block ping requests, as well. I also use a router which has its own hardware firewall.

A ShieldsUp probe gives me the following:

ShieldsUp.PNG

I'm fairly confident that malware will require my intentional cooperation for a successful infection. But you need to satisfy your comfort level.

Others here use and recommend AVG, Avast, or other good free AV/AM products.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Banjo1 (2013-10-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    MSE got a bad rap recently, a review of anti-virus, anti-malware programs criticizing it and placing MSE at the bottom of the tested programs. It is still very useful, however, especially if you are careful about what sites you visit. There may be other reviews of this topic, but one by Leo Notenboom is succinct and encouraging. Read it at:
    http://ask-leo.com/microsoft_securit..._i_switch.html

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lien For This Useful Post:

Banjo1 (2013-10-22)

Thanks
    Many very knowledgeable Windows "experts" do still use MSE very successfully. I know Fred Langa recently included an article on MSE use in his Newsletter article. It seems the large concern in many cases is the person behind the keyboard rather than the S/W. Where do you surf? Do you blindly click all pop-ups? Do you fall for the "You computer is infected, we can help" phishing attempts? Do you open attachments without running your AV on them? Do you install loads of free S/W without first checking what other apps are along for the ride and will also get installed on your PC?

These are all common ways that our PCs get infected and viruses are propagated. Common sense goes a long way in these cases.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Banjo1 (2013-10-22)

Thanks
    MSE got a bad rap from Microsoft itself:

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...f-comparatives

I believe that MSE is better than nothing; in fact, if someone doesn't have a clue about these things, I will install MSE on their computer, because it is "set and forget."

But I don't recommend it to anyone who has any awareness of these issues.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Banjo1 (2013-10-22)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    MSE is better than nothing, but it is no decent protection against anything other than basic attacks. Even known threats, repackaged, something any basic malware writer can do, will bypass MSE's protection. It's not only that MSE ranks low in comparatives, it's simply that blacklist based protection leaves you open to, not only zero day attacks, but even to known threats repackaged. All blacklist based products are equally bad, in this respect.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Banjo1 (2013-10-22)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    MSE is better than nothing, but it is no decent protection against anything other than basic attacks. Even known threats, repackaged, something any basic malware writer can will bypass MSE's protection. It's not only that MSE ranks low in comparatives, it's simply that blacklist based protection leaves you open to, not only zero day attacks, but even to known threats repackaged. All blacklist based products are equally bad, in this respect.
    While I'm comfortable with it, I still say
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    you need to satisfy your comfort level.
    There are any number of web sites one can visit to personally test AV/AM in real time against real threats. There is certainly risk involved, but I've done it, knowing that my drive images can rescue my system in the event of failure. My system has not been compromised yet. I do this to check my confidence in my overall protection from time to time.

And that's why I say that I'm fairly confident that malware will require my intentional cooperation for a successful infection. AV/AM is just one part of system security and protection, but there is no protection from self. One has to accept personal responsibility for their own part in the overall scheme of system protection.

Common sense (what little I have), decent AV/AM (which I consider MSE and WD to be), hardware firewall, coupled with regular and frequent drive imaging and multiple copies of critical files puts me in a comfort zone.

We each must find our own comfort zone.

Unleash Windows

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Banjo1 (2013-10-22)

Administrator
    Thanks
    The damage an infection can do depends on the infecting agent. All you need is one single, quiet, zero day exploit to have your system compromised without you even realizing it. That's why I use an AV with heuristic detection and a whitelist based HIPS. Nothing will run here without my permission.

Of course, each person runs what he/she finds best, but the fact that someone has never been infected is not really a proof of the effectiveness of any antimalware protection. The number of foiled infection attempts, that would be more informative.

To me, the choice is simple. For the cost (25 euros / year), I feel better to know that I have top notch HIPS and AV apps, that will provide protection even to zero day attacks. Their intervention, to my recollection, was never really needed, so I could even have spared all the licenses money I spent all these years, but what the 25 euros or so buy me, is piece of mind.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Part of my overall security is never running routinely using an Administrators group account. I run as a regular user. Even programs that I want to run don't run without my OK using an Administrators group account password.

I have had a number of ransomware attempts, but no successes. MSE and Windows Defender have both blocked unsolicited downloads, and stopped scripts from running. I run scans with Windows Defender (and occasionally Windows Defender Offline) and Malwarebytes periodically.

I'm satisfied that my system is clean.

But again, that's my comfort zone.

Unleash Windows

24. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Banjo1 (2013-10-22)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Part of my overall security is never running routinely using an Administrators group account. I run as a regular user. Even programs that I want to run don't run without my OK using an Administrators group account password.

I have had a number of ransomware attempts, but no successes. MSE and Windows Defender have both blocked unsolicited downloads, and stopped scripts from running. I run scans with Windows Defender (and occasionally Windows Defender Offline) and Malwarebytes periodically.

I'm satisfied that my system is clean.

But again, that's my comfort zone.
    I didn't imply that your system wasn't clean. Of course, running as a regular user is a great defensive measure that will minimize any impact resulting from a malware infection.
    There is no single solution to securing a computer, but informed decision is always the best thing. That's why I keep restating the advantages of whitelisting over blacklisting.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Banjo1 (2013-10-22)

Thanks
    Back to the original question, yes MSE offers basic protection, and yes MS is supporting it. There are many free alternatives that might offer better protection, but nothing is 100%, especially against that person sitting in front of the keyboard. That's why most "experts" agree that a multi-layered approach is best, including AV/AM, S/W and H/W firewalls and safe PC usage.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Banjo1 (2013-10-22)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast