Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP to Win 7 question 2

win 7 error.jpgI had XP Pro, 32 bit installed on my home built computer. ASUS P4C800 Deluxe MB w/ 875P, ICH5 chipset. When I originally installed XP, I ran the .inf file and the Application Accelerator exe file. In the MB settings I can choose to have the C drive ( which is PATA ) seen as a SATA drive.
    I am NOT using a RAID configuration. In the BIOS HDD configuration I selected IDE instead of RAID.
    Everything ran well under XP.
    Here is what I have:
    ASUS P4C800 Deluxe MoBo
    2- DVD drives ( master & slave plugged in to secondary IDE connection on MB )
    1- PATA 133, 120 GB HDD ( Master, plugged into Primary IDE connection on MB, this is listed as Drive 0, "D" drive on computer )
    2- PATA 133, 200 GB HDD's ( Master is "C" drive, Drive 1, with XP OS on it, Slave is a removable drive in a case for drive imaging with an on/off switch.
    They are hooked into the Primary Raid connection on MB )

C & D HDD's are jumpered for CS (cable select).

Step 1 in trying to do a custom install of Win 7 Pro:

I saved all that I wanted to save and booted to the BIOS and changed boot order to have the DVD drive boot first, opened the DVD drive and inserted the Win 7, 32 bit disc and saved and exited.
    The win 7 disc started loading files etc. and I chose "custom install" and the window came up to choose what HDD to install to. BIG problem since the C drive with XP OS isn't shown. The only drive shown is my D drive that is partitioned.
    I quit the win 7 install and went to computer management-Drives and the D drive is Drive 0, and the C drive is drive 1. Since C is drive 1, is that the reason it isn't shown at all!!
    I assumed that it would show both HDD's when I ran the install disk.

Step 2:

I removed the (master connection on Primary IDE) cable from Drive 0 ("D"drive) and then I removed the master connection for Drive 1 ("C" drive with OS on it) & left the connection for the removable drive
    (slave connection) and the Primary RAID connection hooked up (in other words I just left the cable hooked up but nothing would be seen by the computer on that cable).
    So at this point the "D" drive has nothing plugged into it and the bckup drive is plugged in to the RAID socket but turned off.
    On the "C" drive, I plugged in the master connection to the Primary IDE on the MB and started the win 7 disc.
    It saw the drive as Drive 0 and I could delete it and install win 7 (custom install). All went fine until I shut down and reinstalled the cables to the original positions.
    During POST the computer see's everything as it did previously BUT now windows won't boot normally off of Drive "C". When I click on the repair option, it wants drivers for the disc's or a system image. What drivers do I need to put in? from the MB disc?
    HELP!!!!!
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2013-10-18 at 21:30. Reason: added error photo

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think it's merely a drive jumper, or BIOS drive boot order or improper IDE cable configuration problem if you are indeed using the IDE bus connections. If you return the configuration to exactly as it was during install does the system boot fine? If so, then that is the case, otherwise if the error is not spurious, I haven't encountered that problem before (I have encountered tons of IDE configuration problems!).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In the original configuration, when I tried to install Win 7, win 7 didn't even see the "C" drive so that's why I changed the cables around to strictly IDE on the install of win 7. Evidently that changed win 7's view of the boot drive.
    I am indeed using the IDE bus connection now so that it will boot. I hooked up "C" drive to master IDE and "D" drive to slave connection. Both drives are jumpered for CS (cable select).
    My new problem (to add onto the rest of this nightmare) is that when I run the disc for the sound card, the driver install stops, saying that it finds no audio hardware. I looked for a newer driver and found one but it stops with the same error.
    This has turned into the update from hell.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Some old audio subsystems will indeed be completely incompatible with Windows 7, if this is integrated audio there may be a possibility it is disabled in the BIOS and needs to be set to enable but if not, then a compatible audio card may be needed or even an inexpensive headphone/speaker and mic jack to USB audio adapter will work.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 SB0220 PCI card and according to the win 7 upgrade advisor, it will work. Creative Labs had a newer driver that I downloaded and it says it will work with win 7 BUT, I get the same error when I try to install it. For some reason the installer can't find the hardware.
    As I said, absolutely NOTHING (so far) has gone right with this win 7 install.
    It's getting discouraging to think I may have wasted the money for a win 7 disc. I may have to start over and just go back to my "imaged" XP system. The problem is, that I think that I'm just missing something from the beginning and I can't figure out what it is.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I looked in Device manager and I'm wondering if the "other" is what is causing a lot of my problems. Looks like PCI and RAID drivers are missing.
    I assume that maybe I need to find the MoBo disk and reinstall some drivers from it?
    Device manager.JPG

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found a newer RAID controller on ASUS for this MB and I installed it but something is wrong as you will see in the Device Manager Pic.
    The RAID controller was for up to Win 2003. I tried the ATA controller but it wasn't recognized, probably because it only goes up to XP.
    I'm not sure I understand what driver I need for the "PCIinput Device" listed in "other". I think that is why the driver for my SoundBlaster card can't find the hardware, as I seem to be missing the driver for the PCI slots.
    I got rid of one of the "Multimedia Audio Controller" by updating the driver for the onboard audio (which works now). HELP!!!!!!!!!
    Dev mngr 2.JPG

Thanks
    If you have the onboard audio working, perhaps the PCIInput Device is your sound card?

Do you have any other PCI cards in the PC?

Have you tried removing the sound card, deleting the PCIInput Device, then rebooting?
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    If you have the onboard audio working, perhaps the PCIInput Device is your sound card?

Do you have any other PCI cards in the PC?

Have you tried removing the sound card, deleting the PCIInput Device, then rebooting?
    I only have the sound card in the PCI slots, my video is AGP which seems to work fine.
    No I haven't tried removing the sound card. Since the computer doesn't even see the hardware (card) when I try to install the driver, I hadn't thought to even try it. Do you think it will even help to remove it?
    Thanks

Thanks
    If the sound card is the only card in the PCI bus, that could very well be what Windows 7 is seeing as a PCIInput Device. The sound card probably has a microphone input and a line-in input, but apparently is not being recognized as an audio device by Windows 7.

I would try deleting it from Windows Device Manager, shutdown and then remove the card, then reboot and see what you have in Device Manager.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, I'll try that in a little bit. Thanks for the suggestion

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1- At the risk of sounding really stupid, how do you delete it from Dev manager? Do you mean uninstall it?
    2- I would probably have to get rid of PCIInput device and the Multimedia Audio Controller wouldn't I since they are both tied to the SoundBlaster card?
    3- I used "Resources by Connection" in Dev. Manager and it looks to me like the PCI Bus is ok other than the card it can't find. What is your opinion on that before I try to get rid of the problem devices?
    Resources by conn.JPG

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    1- At the risk of sounding really stupid, how do you delete it from Dev manager? Do you mean uninstall it?
    My bad. Uninstall.
    2- I would probably have to get rid of PCIInput device and the Multimedia Audio Controller wouldn't I since they are both tied to the SoundBlaster card?
    Yes, uninstall both of them.

Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, I uninstalled both and shutdown, then removed the card and rebooted. Device Manager doesn't show either of them on reboot.
    I assume that I need to shutdown and re-insert the sound card now and try to install drivers, is that correct?

Thanks
    Ok, I uninstalled both and shutdown, then removed the card and rebooted. Device Manager doesn't show either of them on reboot.
    I assume that I need to shutdown and re-insert the sound card now and try to install drivers, is that correct?
    Yes, I would give that a try, since your card is supposed to be supported.

I would recommend a cold reboot first - shutdown completely, wait a minute and then restart - to make certain there aren't any residuals. Give Device Manager another check, and then shutdown and reinstall the card.

Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast