2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

8.1 panic - How to escape back to 8?

I installed 8.1 yesterday. It was easy enough, but then I found problems. Acronis True Image would not run. I tried to uninstall and reinstall it. It will not reinstall. My Logitech mouse software had to be reinstalled, but I don't think the mouse action is the same, nor can it be fixed.

I can get back to 8 from the image I created with Windows 7 image tool or from the last True Image. My problem is that I would like to create an image of 8.1 before I revert to 8. I can't find a way to do it. True Image won't work. I can't find the Windows 7 image tool in 8.1. This upgrade has been a bit of a trauma. I may have to just restore an image and not make one of 8.1, but my instinct tells me that I ought to make an image first.

Suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Bob,

Your logitech mouse no longer requires the SetPoint software and it doesn't work in 8.1 anyway. Just uninstall it. My M310 mouse and t650 touch pad both work w/o it.

I'd suggest you download the free version of Macrium Reflect to do your 8.1 image. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I gave Acronis one more try this morning. It was the 4th or 5th attempt. To my complete surprise, this time it installed and seems to be working. I have it doing a file backup right now. I may stay with 8.1 if there are no new problems.

Meanwhile, I am still very interested in knowing how to make an image with 8.1. Yes, if Acronis is working properly, I will be able to make images, but I would like to know that, even if it fails again, I will still have a way to create an image. Is the old Windows 7 image took still present in 8.1? If not, is there a substitute?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob W View Post
    Meanwhile, I am still very interested in knowing how to make an image with 8.1. Yes, if Acronis is working properly, I will be able to make images, but I would like to know that, even if it fails again, I will still have a way to create an image. Is the old Windows 7 image took still present in 8.1?
    Yes; at Control Panel, File History, System Image Backup (bottom left).

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I just tried Acronis, after my own 8.1 migration, and it worked immediately. No need to re-install or anything similar...

If this happens again, you should have in mind that you can always image (and restore) by restarting from the Acronis boot disk. This will happen regardless of the operating system you are running.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Bruce and ruirib. I checked and easily found the image option. Glad to see it is still there. I knew I could recover the old Acronis images via the emergency boot disk, but I didn't realize I could do an image from it.

I am going to give 8.1 some more time so that I can see if there is anything else broken or lost.

Thanks
    I always boot to the Acronis Rescue Disk to create my Images. It is just the habit I've gotten in to. It has never failed to work in this manner.

I just checked and Acronis does open from within Windows. I have not tried to Create an Image from there. Just wanted to see if the app worked. It Does!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yesterday I tried to make a backup using the Windows imaging tool (presumably still Win7) from the History location. It started each time, but failed 4 times (between them I did things like rebooting). Each time it would look for a target disk and select my 3 TB drive (as I intended). The drive has 1.5 TB free, so there is plenty of room for many OS images, but each time, I got an error message saying that there was not enough space on the target drive. It also mentioned something about shadow copy. In any case, 1.5 TB is a very big space for this job. Does anyone have a thought as to what is happening? It appears to me that the imaging tool will not be usable under my 8.1 installation. Fixes?