Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

8.1 Deal Breaker (on my desktop, anyway)

Although everything appears to be working well (except for Apps, some glitches there, but I don't use Apps anyway), IE11 doesn't play nice with MS MoneyPlus Sunset. I can connect to my bank directly through IE11 and navigate my accounts without any problems, but when I try to connect through the MoneyPlus interface (connect to bank through my account register) I can login to the bank site, but it won't display any account information, which means I can't import anything into MoneyPlus, either.

I've been using Money for almost 15 years, and although it is no longer supported by MS, it still does everything I want it to do, I'm thoroughly familiar with it, and I'm sticking with it. I made my bank's https site a trusted site in IE11, but that didn't help. I reconfigured the Temporary Internet Files using the instructions in the link RG supplied, but none of that worked. It connects, but the page won't completely open (but only in Money - works fine in standalone IE11). IE11 has been stalling out on webpages frequently, though, requiring a "Recover webpage"; not quite a finished product, I would say.

I've dumped Windows.old, degragged 8.1, and I'm currently booted into Windows 7 making a drive image of 8.1. Once that's complete, I'm restoring my Windows 8. I've found nothing compelling enough about 8.1 to make me interested in puzzling out this problem with Money at this time, and giving up Money after all these years is simply not an option for me. But, I'm making the image so that when I get more free time in the future, I might play with it some more.

I'm leaving Windows 8.1 on my laptop, and I can continue to poke around in its innards from there. But so far, 8.1 has not lived up to the hype as far as I'm concerned. Security hasn't been an issue for me in 8, networking hasn't been an issue, and I couldn't care less about the metro side of things. It looks and runs like 8 as far as I can tell. Maybe it will surprise me on my laptop...
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The desktop computer icon says This PC now. Initially the Microsoft start button was covering half of the now non-functioning Start8 button but since updating Start8, the Microsoft start button is gone. I don't know if there have been any more changes than that to the desktop.

I think all the real changes are on the touch interface side and since none of the Store or associated apps are working, probably due to my insisting on the same local user account, not much motivation to try anything over there. Seems much ado about nothing unless one was really looking for a lot of start screen improvements. I might keep it and just wall off the whole *rap App wing of 8.1 if I can get better boot times. IE11 failed the sniff test here as well, first video it came to was a non-starter, link copy and paste and go in Chrome worked fine, and this was AFTER installing the latest flash player, though I don't know if it was a flash video.

Oh, and I'm getting folder access denied error trying to delete the .old folder; my guess is that's also related to local account kerfuffle. Also SkyDrive integration is missing...we seem to have a very vindictive OS here if one doesn't use a Microsoft account login.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-10-19 at 12:00.

Thanks
    Oh, and I'm getting folder access denied error trying to delete the .old folder
    To get rid of your Windows.old folder:
    File Explorer
    Right click on C:
    Select properties
    General tab, click on disk cleanup
    Click on clean up system files
    click Ok

Jerry

Thanks
    I renamed "This PC" to "Computer" before I got very far at all.

To get rid of Windows.old I just took ownership and deleted it.

The other major aggravation I had to undo was the Windows 8 boot manager - I don't care for the GUI or the reboot to select another OS kerflunkle. I copied my Windows 7 bootmgr to my System partition, did some tidying up and I'm back to my text-only boot-directly-to-my-selection menu.

I hope that doesn't set off another long-winded it-can't-be-done tirade...
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, got rid of it through cleanup, never used it before for that so forgot all about it.

Now to shrink it and move it to a faster and less congested drive to see if there's some speed in this snail! Y'all know the joke, knock on the door, homeowner opens it, sees nothing and gets mad so he slams the door shut. Two years later there's another knock, homeowner opens it, and the snail says, "what the hell was that all about!?"

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Moving the installation helped but I noticed then that explorer would sit and consume 26-30% of the processor and I jumped to the conclusion, after deactivating Start 8, modernmix and windowblinds to see if any of those might be discordant, that it's probably local account related; so I caved (for now) and used a Microsoft account. Wallah! SkyDrive integrated, Store works, snail's pace gone and explorer.exe is quiescent.

What's the lesson? Microsoft wants it their way, not your way.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Moving the installation helped but I noticed then that explorer would sit and consume 26-30% of the processor and I jumped to the conclusion, after deactivating Start 8, modernmix and windowblinds to see if any of those might be discordant, that it's probably local account related; so I caved (for now) and used a Microsoft account. Wallah! SkyDrive integrated, Store works, snail's pace gone and explorer.exe is quiescent.

What's the lesson? Microsoft wants it their way, not your way.
    I changed from a Microsoft account to a local account and don't see any of those issues except for loss of Sky drive integration which I don't use anyway.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you upgrade with a local account or change it afterward? In my case no Microsoft account existed before the upgrade so I think that was responsible for almost all the problems.
    Also, did you then delete the Microsoft account or leave it be?
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-10-20 at 14:03. Reason: 2nd question

Thanks
    Yes. I upgraded with a Microsoft account and then changed to a local one. After the change, only the local account is shown in Accounts. The Microsoft account isn't shown anywhere.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, that'll be my next step then.

Thanks
    Jerry,

Can you use any Modern Apps or the Store?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Jerry,

Can you use any Modern Apps or the Store?
    RG,

Did you try to enter your Microsoft account details in the store (bring the charms and choose Settings -> Your Account)?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Rui,

I'm back at 8.0 now but as I remember it when I was using a Local account on 8.1 it wouldn't let me into the store. I'll give it a try when I get around to trying 8.1 again. Thanks.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I can use all of the Modern apps I had installed in Windows 8 and have no problem using the store.
    None of that worked when I used my old Local account I had in windows 8. I had to create a new local account when I changed the Microsoft account I installed with.
    Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2013-10-20 at 20:42.

Thanks
    On my laptop I did the upgrade with a regular account and have not logged in using a MS account. All the Apps that I've tried work, and the Store works. I'm updating 20 Apps as I type this on my desktop PC.

Naturally, there are a number of Apps that open, but then want me to login with a MS account. I'm just not going there, since I don't use the Apps anyway. The Apps that don't ask for a MS account, (News, Weather and such) work just fine, which indicates that they all would if I just knuckled under and used a MS account.

Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast